PL Swiftwater (swift revisited)

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
Ok so I deleted that bush - no real big deal.

I do like the term "Bush Sentry" though.

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
Update to Final Release Candidate 2

Reduced red spawn for CP3 and CP4
Added gates to keep players from going to CP4 instead of CP3 during that stage
Returned the ramp and one way door at CP4
Added clipping brush at CP4
Deleted a sentry bush

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
Bugs for next build:
The one way door at CP4 is broken =/
Players catch on displacement outside blue spawn

I'll make a fix and have it up soon. Any other bugfixes/suggestions from RC2?

DontWannaName

L3: Member
Jan 12, 2009
I only noticed the blue spawn issue. For some reason, a lot of blue keep getting past red and getting to the last red spawn/point. On maps like Badwater this happenes but an engi would never make it since you have to go right past reds forward spawn door.

It got rated an average 3.47/4, for now. Only 36 people voted. Swiftwater is averaged at 3.36/4 by 981 people.

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
For some reason, a lot of blue keep getting past red and getting to the last red spawn/point.
I was there for that game =) I think you had a super aggressive engy who built a tele exit up ahead. It ended up costing blue as they couldn't push past CP3 with half the team wandering around CP4

Apr 19, 2009
I could never put my finger on it but something about the color palette has always felt off for tf2. It just feels overall too bright with textures, lighting, or something, its really hard to describe. :S

(-TN-) Ben2

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 10, 2009
I was there for that game =) I think you had a super aggressive engy who built a tele exit up ahead. It ended up costing blue as they couldn't push past CP3 with half the team wandering around CP4

This happened yesterday, but blu did great and rolled em.

Gonfin won with his pro engineering, then i went engi and helped him complete the domination.

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
Interesting. Is this a case of a particular Blu team playing better, or a flaw in the map?

DontWannaName

L3: Member
Jan 12, 2009
Well when you were there, I and someone else were engis and both happened to get past red. Then we met up with a medic/demo combo and built on the last point near their spawn so when they come out they fall into our trap. Eventually, the whole team got back there and no one went for the cart. Only 1 red spy attempted to get us. Its mostly because when blue is going for that second point, there is so much open space, it is easy to slip past red.

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
Updated to RC3 Download

Fixed a few minor bugs
Added a new exit from CP2
Tinkered with spawn times.
Added some blocks so CP4 can't be pre-camped.

This will be the last update for a little while, so server admins please update to this version and give feedback.

TheTurnip

L2: Junior Member
Mar 2, 2010
I could never put my finger on it but something about the color palette has always felt off for tf2. It just feels overall too bright with textures, lighting, or something, its really hard to describe. :S

Yeah, this is my one issue with Swiftwater. I think there are a number of overlays in the first section (outside Blue spawn) that have almost a pastel colour to them. That's the only specific colour palette problem, but it's all a little off. That said, I do looove me some swiftwater, and i'm glad to see the updates!

mhmm

L1: Registered
Dec 20, 2008
Yeah, this is my one issue with Swiftwater. I think there are a number of overlays in the first section (outside Blue spawn) that have almost a pastel colour to them. That's the only specific colour palette problem, but it's all a little off. That said, I do looove me some swiftwater, and i'm glad to see the updates!

Definitely agree. The really deep red mixing with the green of the landscape and the blue just doesn't do it for me. If you look at Valve alpine maps they stay away from the blues and reds and keep it to more of a wood look for both teams, with the colored wood. Essentially, when using the Alpine theme Valve stays away from the extreme red/blu coloring that this map uses.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Noticed this today: lighting error in BLU spawn. This is on all four corners.

plswiftwater0000.jpg

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
I think there are a number of overlays in the first section (outside Blue spawn) that have almost a pastel colour to them. That's the only specific colour palette problem, but it's all a little off.
Thanks. I had a friend who made the decals and he hasn't expressed interest in changing them. I enjoy his work and like the bits he added to the map.

The really deep red mixing with the green of the landscape and the blue just doesn't do it for me. If you look at Valve alpine maps they stay away from the blues and reds and keep it to more of a wood look for both teams, with the colored wood. Essentially, when using the Alpine theme Valve stays away from the extreme red/blu coloring that this map uses.
I agree. Swiftwater is pretty much my first map and I've learned a lot. At this point I'm interested in fixing gameplay and moving on. I don't have time/ambition to go through and retexture it all.

E.B.

Mar 15, 2009
If you're making another release candidate, check the stairs in the last cap area. At least one set doesn't have a playerclip, which I discovered while trying to jump up it during a game yesterday.

Edit: and you've got those mesh fences that block bullets but not splash damage, might want to check those out. In the same match where I got caught on those stairs, I saw a blue soldier shooting rockets at the fence in order to blow up a sentry on the other side which seems a bit exploitative. I don't think any other wall in any other map works like that...

Last edited:

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
I'll kick an RC4 out tonight. I've made a few changes. Anything else you guys wanna try?

E.B.

Mar 15, 2009
The blue final spawn's stairs can have teleporters built on them. This makes it hard to get out of spawn, and it's kinda unfair since they're out of danger. Those stairs might not be playerclipped either, actually. I'll check that out when I next take a break.

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
Download RC4

Decreased red spawn times
Fixed One Way door
Changed CP3 ramp to favor red.
Fixed mesh at CP3 taking splash damage (I think)
Fixed building exploit in final blue spawn

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
check the stairs in the last cap area. At least one set doesn't have a playerclip, which I discovered while trying to jump up it during a game yesterday.
I looked around and couldn't find this. I may have fixed it between RCs and just didn't recall. If the problem persists please take a screen.

Last edited: