Sticky: The original VALVe maps (Great Reference)

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
TBH, I decided to decompile them all myself when I want some inspiration. I found that the ones on FBSbanana are quite out of date. By out of date I mean they were decompiled by an older version of VMEX than the current release. I assume that the newer maps are OK but the original maps were no where near as good as if you do it yourself, and unlike compiling, decompiling only takes a couple of seconds so thats no excuse.

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
I just had a look at 2fort and... Whoa... I wonder how the Valve guys didn't get confused looking at the 2D view...

But I learned some useful things from it... :)

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
Cordon tool ;)

Now that you mentioned...:blink:

But as I said, I learned some useful things such as where to place brushes with hint texture, where to use areaportals, and such.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
It is. I think decompiling user created maps takes the whole "wrong" thing to a new level.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
You can just decompile the maps with vmex if you really want to look at them.

Also that copy of lumberyard had a ton of errors when I loaded it. Missing displacements, walls, etc.. (lumberyard is the one that uses the forest skybox right?)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yes, it is the one with the alpine skybox.

if you want to find these files you'll need gcfscape from Nem's tools site to remove the desired encrypted bsp files; to decompile with vmex.

http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

JosephOhSnap

L1: Registered
Jan 6, 2009
It is. I think decompiling user created maps takes the whole "wrong" thing to a new level.

I couldn't find the .bsp files for valves maps, so i couldn't decompile any of them. i eventually went so far as to decompile pl_dustbowl_b4. ya... i really wanted a reference point for my work. this would have been a lot faster. but knowing myself, i had to go and do it the overly complicated way.

JosephOhSnap

L1: Registered
Jan 6, 2009

I couldn't find the .bsp files for valves maps, so i couldn't decompile any of them. i eventually went so far as to decompile pl_dustbowl_b4. ya... i really wanted a reference point for my work. this would have been a lot faster. but knowing myself, i had to go and do it the overly complicated way.

I am not entirely sure i get why decompilig a user made map is wrong though. i asked the maker of ctf_mach4 if i could convert it into a 5 point cp map (at the request of my clan) but he said no. could someone explain the psychology of this for me.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I am not entirely sure i get why decompilig a user made map is wrong though. i asked the maker of ctf_mach4 if i could convert it into a 5 point cp map (at the request of my clan) but he said no. could someone explain the psychology of this for me.

The psychology of whether it can be considered a bad thing to do, or why Vilepickle said no? I think the reason he said no is obvious - it's his own work (I know it's a remake, but he made it from the ground up as far as I know), so of course he won't let anyone edit it and do whatever they want to change it around.

If you're talking about why I (among others) think it's a bit wrong...well, the answer is much of the same. Make something original instead of tampering with other people's hard, loving work for your own sake. Of course, I don't think there's anything wrong with it if you're just going to use it for reference (like looking at the entities or something), but looking at that old comment I made, I guess my message wasn't very well explained.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I just remembered...maybe this should be added to the first post?

It's going to be updated with Valve's new payload map when they release it, of course.