Steam VR performance thread - is your PC ready for the Vive?

Is your PC ready for the Vive?

• It's ready!

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • It's capable.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Ooooh, it is sad day.

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Now, with everyone who's ready...

who's actually going to pay for it?

I'm not sure. The VIVE seems like the more premium option but I don't see many games implementing it properly. I don't want to be teleported around to a single position to take aim at some targets like its a carnival game. This is what I have seen for most of the shooter-type games on the VIVE. As for the simulation games, being able to use the motion controllers is really cool and it looks like it will work flawlessly in those types of games.

One shooter I have seen that takes advantage of the motion controls properly and does not limit your space is a game called Hover Junkers.
This one looks like fun but I might get bored of it pretty quick.

VR is still in its baby form. The price will come down, the games will find better ways to implement the technology, and more developers will support it. But as of right now a lot of games look like shovelware to me. This is just my honest opinion. I'd love to be an early adopter of the tech like I was with 21:9 monitors (which are a big thing now), but there might not be enough to captivate me.

That being said, if valve were to drop the bomb and release HL3 with a VR mode I might just have to.

Last edited:

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
I'm so envy to all you here who have i7.

My PC is ready for VR but only just because of fx-8320... GPU is gtx970, no problem there but VR games will need some real power. (Also in normal gaming, for example in Far Cry 4 i7 can give +20fps easily)

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
steamvrtest.png

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I miss the days when Innoventions at Epcot was used as a place to show off fancy new tech to people who don't normally go to electronics expos. It'd be perfect for something like this.