Stallone

KotH Stallone b2

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
kotnh.png

So I might as well make a post of this as I am gonna be working on it soon.
It was once named "MannHatel" which was a terrible name, So iv renamed it something much cooler and fitting in some way.

The goal for the map is to make a theme of a beach hotel, using reference of images and ideas that I have done research on which can be found here

I am also gonna post some design and ideas that I have thought about, 1st being the environment lighting.
I wanted the lighting to be a sunset feel, iv tried various ideas here are a few

01.jpg

This is the first idea for lighting, this one doesn't have the feeling of a sunset due to the bright colours and lack of blues.

04.jpg

This was the 2nd attempt as you can see there is alot more rich sun colour, However you can see the team colours of the red start to get lost at distance which is bad. However this has a nice ambient in it which I tried to improve on the next idea

05.jpg

This was the next attempt, as you can see the red team colour mixes in with the background making it hard to see the colour, however it feels more like a sunset which is the goal.

At this stage I realised that making a sunset which doesn't clash with the red team colour would be too hard so I started to think of how I could make the red come out more, so I went back to the ideas I had earlier of a lighter colour.

06.jpg

Ending up with this, I am happy with this however I feel it doesn't feel so much of a sunset as the last idea. but it still gives the idea of a setting sun whiles keeping the team colours visable

---------------------------------------

The next stage was how was I gonna make the big flat wall around middle look appealing I used the reference images (which can be found here )

I did a paint over of an Idea I had, I wasn't too happy with it but It was a step in the right direction
Middle_idea.png

As you can see it isn't the best drawing but It was a little idea, it also only toke about 5 mins to draw so it was a nice quick way of doing detailing.

I then tried to recreate that paint over
2014-01-10_00004.jpg

It came out rather close to the paint over I did earlier but I felt it didnt feel like it would fit in with the TF2 Universe so I went back a step and tried to think of more what would the tf2 universe hotel be like.

I then came up with this idea next which I feel is a lot better, as it is a lot more simplified and doesn't distract the player too much also if shows the player clearly which team they are on. Also I feel it fits the tf2 architecture style

2014-01-14_00004.jpg

I will also talk about the 3d skybox and models later

Last edited:

Jaevel

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2012
really love the setting of this map! Haven't really seen one like this i TF2.
My only complaints so far is that I found it a bit hard to see where the invisable walls are. (Another minor complaint is that I would like if you had used a picture showing the map with the beach aswell! I know it is really little to nothing to see there yet, but it kinda annoyd me not being able to see what it looked like.)

Aside from that, This map is good! Can't wait to see how it looks like when its all done!

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
i'm a big fan of the art direction here

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
MODELS MODELS MODELS!

So I have created a fair few models for Stallone, I don't see myself as a master modeler or texture artist. I just created some small simple props, nothing really gameplay effective but more of just small detail props.

Screenshot%202014-02-17%2018.29.59.png

Screenshot%202014-02-17%2018.32.48.png

Screenshot%202014-02-17%2018.30.47.png

^ These props are mostly just for small out bounds areas or just small details like a bar or just a little scene. I made them have several skins so they could be used a lot and not seem to repetitive.

Screenshot%202014-02-17%2018.24.59.png

Screenshot%202014-02-17%2018.26.54.png

Screenshot%202014-02-17%2018.28.34.png

^ These props are similar to the smaller props but can be used as gameplay too, the surf boards could be used as cover or walk-able surface, same as the diving board.

signrb.PNG

^ I also created some team signs and also a hotel name. Hasta La Vista Baby!

Screenshot%202014-02-17%2018.34.51.png

^Lastly I created a car model, sadly I do not think I will use it as firstly the model isn't that good of a standard and also I have no idea of how to UV map it and then to texture it. But It was a fun process working out how to make it.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
These could stand to be a little more high-poly; even the little deodorant can has a 14-sided base. For the coconut, you could have it transition from 20 sides on the top to 10 on the bottom, kind of like the reverse of the beer can. You can use LOD models to keep the polycounts low at greater distances.

Lastly I created a car model, sadly I do not think I will use it as firstly the model isn't that good of a standard and also I have no idea of how to UV map it and then to texture it.
What do you mean? You already did!

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
MORE MODELS (2nd attempt)

So I realised that I would need a couple of gates, one for a car pack then 2nd for the beach front, I started by drawing up some ideas using reference I found of old gates and fence designs.

2014-03-31%2017.51.29.jpg

Here is a progress dump.
002.PNG

003.PNG

004.PNG

005.PNG

006.PNG

007.PNG

008.PNG

009.PNG

010.PNG

Here is the final product.
Screenshot%202014-03-31%2020.54.52.png

I also create some towel models to add little details and character to the hotel.

Here is a progress dump.
01.PNG

02.PNG

03.PNG
04.PNG

05.PNG

06.PNG

07.PNG

08.PNG

09.PNG

10.PNG

11.PNG

12.PNG

13.PNG

here is the final product.
Screenshot%202014-03-28%2020.33.45.png

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm not keen on the big "La Vista" sign matching Blu's color.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Maybe for the 'La Vista' sign, you could make it so that it changes light color depending on who controls the point at the time.

Red Control would make it change to red.
Blu Control would make it change to blue.
No control would be normal light color.

Apr 14, 2013
I really like the map overall, but it has some small issues

First, the room inside "la-vista" was pretty useless as far as I noticed, since there's health around the cp on the other side, you can get it instead and not get "trapped". as far as I saw (though I might be wrong) there's no exit from that room, exept of the one next to the cp.
I think it might be a good idea to connect it to the small health+ammo rooms next to spawn (a bit like in Lakeside, where the caves are leading from spawn to the big room with the health right next to the cp) but it might not be possible due to the map's layout, I'm not really sure.

Also, the map feels too small. With a full server, mid felt quite crowded.
I killed many people while actually shooting at someone else, and died myself within a few seconds, almost everytime I got to mid.

Maybe you could add some more area between the spawn to the cp to make it more like official maps? (for example, Harvest and Badlands [Koth] had the whole building area on each side of the cp, that makes it much more big, and easier to not instantly die -you can always go back or fight without standing in the middle of the crossfire. You have some "buildings" area too, but much smaller and more like a connection between spawn and mid, not so much as a place to fall back to or as a good defending/sniper location)
and one last thing: I felt like the map didn't really had any good sniper spots. I'm a pretty bad sniper, so I can't tell for sure if it's correct, but I couldn't find any place for a sniper to stand. there was no balcony (Badlands, lakeside), cliff side (viaduct), roof (harvest, sawmill) or long sightline (sawmill, king). there were the bridges, but I kept getting killed on them even while playing a standard class, that is moving and looking around, I doubt if a sniper would survive there for long.
However, I like the map (and espacially the theme) and hope to see it finished!

Jukebox

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2014
I would love to make some props for you. Some pink flamingoes and pool floats or whatver you'd like.