Spawn Gates disabled, BEFORE setup time???

Rbstat

L1: Registered
Aug 27, 2021
Ok so I've built some spawn doors, and I've specifically created the logic so that the doors are disabled at the start of the setup-time, and then re-enabled at the end of the setup-time. Mind you, the doors (and by doors, I mean their triggers) I'm talking about are enabled by default, and are then disabled.

The doors ARE disabled during setup-time, and ARE then re-enabled after it ends. All that works fine.

However... The doors are ALSO disabled BEFORE setup-time. In the "Waiting For Players" phase of the map. Despite the fact that that shouldn't be possible. Once again: the doors are ENABLED by default, not disabled by default. As far as I'm concerned, it should not be logically possible that those doors are disabled before the round even begins. Yet they are anyways.

I'm assuming that this is some sort of common quirk with the engine, and that I just need to do some specific workaround in order to fix it. I just don't know what that is, currently. If anybody could share said workaround, I'd be appreciating. Thx :3 :3 :3

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
This is no common quirk. The waiting for players system is TF2 exclusive.

Rbstat

Aug 27, 2021
Well it's common for tf2 because it's built into the game. Every map has that before the first round begins.

And I mean... It is TF2MAPS.

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
I got curious about this and checked TF2's source code. It seems that OnSetupStart is triggered just before the Waiting for players timer starts. The Waiting for players state is in a sense a "server side thing" and not related to the map the server loads.

Maybe some vscripting can be used or some other workaround? Something that might work is enabling the doors on map spawn with a delay. So using a logic_auto (with the Remove on fire checkbox ticked in its flags) having a OnMultiNewMap trigger to enable the doors with a 1.00 delay or something. Even if this works it might misbehave in servers with the "waiting for players" time disabled

Last edited:

Rbstat

Aug 27, 2021
But then why don't other community maps have this problem? Or official maps for that matter?

tbh I don't really care if I can or cannot implement this or not, it's not that big of a problem, I just wanna know why it happens so I can fix it for later maps.
Also! if your analysis of the code is correct, then perhaps I can just put a 30s delay on the setup start??? I'll try it out and see if it works!

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
In case you missed it, I updated my previous message:
Something that might work is enabling the doors on map spawn with a delay. So using a logic_auto (with the Remove on fire checkbox ticked in its flags) having a OnMultiNewMap trigger to enable the doors with a 1.00 delay or something. Even if this works it might misbehave in servers with the "waiting for players" time disabled

Rbstat

Aug 27, 2021
Well I've come across something of a pyrrhic victory.

While "OnMultiNewMap" Doesn't work... "OnMultiNewRound" Does.

But that means that it just keeps re-enabling it every new round. I tried using both fire once and math counters, but there's simply no way to make it enable the doors only once between rounds.

It's a real catch 22. You can either have it not work, or work always even when you don't want it to.