Simplified

CP Simplified A3

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
Simplified - It's simple. Maybe that means it's fun to play.

When I saw the Back to Basics contest, I thought it was a pretty good idea. Turns out I missed that contest.
So I challenged myself to finally make a map that doesn't suck.
To aid myself in this endeavor, I chose a simple gamemode (2 stage A/D) and didn't strap any stupid gimmicks onto it (for once).
I also made it very rectangular and gave it an alpine theme, which enhances the basic-ness.
I think for an A1 it turned out alright. I liked how the height variation ended up - it almost makes me want to play Soldier and bomb into places.
I really hope it doesn't suck. I also have to make a second stage after this, so I hope this ends up coming together nicely and in good time.

Oh also h*ck cubemaps
All my homies hate cubemaps

and I made the skybox really low which is kinda counter-intuitive to all the "hey jumping around is really fun" which I spoke about earlier but the optimisation makes me nut so it's okay in my book

Tiftid

aa
Sep 10, 2016
-Fixed a weird glitch where there was an unfun shutter door near A, dunno how that got there
-Fixed an issue where BLU would spawn in their forward spawn and be unable to leave
-Reworked the high flank on the area before A such that you can't get OP sightlines to/from anywhere except the raised platform at A
-Relentlessly changed the distribution of health and ammo around A to give more to BLU and less to RED
-Added grates to the glass building on A to allow splash damage to go through, making it a more dangerous area
-Moved the full ammo pack on A right in front of this new grate, so Engineers now need to risk sacrificing their kneecaps to the soldier gods for metal
-Reduced BLU's initial respawn wave time from 4 to 3
-Added lights in places where it was dark
-Realised I was compiling with HDR and stopped doing it
-Raised the height of the crates between A and B to stop people from thinking they could jump on top of them as a 100% class
-Didn't add any cubemaps because h*ck cubemaps all my homies hate cubemaps
-Didn't take any new screenshots because in my infinite wisdom I thought the corridors between A and B were too ugly to take pictures of, and so there's not much difference between what the screenshots show you and what you get
-Changed the signage at B to represent the wooden building as being a route to A as opposed to A itself

Read the rest of this update entry...

Tiftid

aa
Sep 10, 2016
So I watched a demo for A1A. It was weird, despite there being a fair few people I only got 4 bits of feedback. Even Wilson was there and didn't pass comment, probably because I hadn't changed much since A1.
What I figured out from the demo was:
Sniper's too good
Heavy's really bad because Sniper's too good
There's too much time
A is way too hard to hold
So I changed some stuff.

-Improved everything by removing the flank that bypasses B
-Took general action to nerf Sniper - A2 should do a better job of this
-Reverted BLU's initial respawn wave time from 3 back to 4, which should make A a bit harder to take
-Lowered the initial round time from 420 to 345 seconds
-Lowered the amount of time added upon capping A from 210 to 180 seconds
-H*ck cubemaps all my homies hate cubemaps

Tiftid

aa
Sep 10, 2016
After days of deliberation and a few changes I've decided to release A2, since I probably won't release A2 this month if it isn't now. In any case, I feel that I need the information I'll get from testing this, so I'll have it tested.

Changes made:
-Rebuilt the area between BLU spawn and A from scratch in hopes of encouraging more battles to take place there
-Gave BLU a raised balcony on A in hopes of creating a 'point dynamic' where both RED and BLU have high ground that sees the point, but to contest it must leave said high ground
-Added the flank on B back in - I'm not the happiest with it, but it might end up doing what I want it to
-Widened the building with the one-way drop between B and A
-Raised B up onto a hill (again in hopes of creating a 'point dynamic')
-Redistributed all the health and ammo everywhere
-Moved BLU's forward spawn forward onto A
-Reduced BLU's respawn wave time after capping A from 4 to 3 seconds
-Reduced RED's respawn wave time after A is capped from 10 to 9 seconds
-Placed a metal barrier in between RED spawn and the dropdown building on B
-Probably did something irrelevant like change the time it takes to cap each point
-Clipped some things
-Lit a whole lot more of the map with lights
-Added some signage to indicate what grates do

Tiftid

aa
Sep 10, 2016
Taking screenshots is for losers.

Changelog:
-Cast a magic spell to remove bad mechanics - the one-way route at B and the grates disappeared, RIP
-Reworked the routes to B to involve a unique new dynamic where RED holds right outside their spawn and has a constant forward hold/flank/sniper alley in a second route
-Generally improved navigation in and widened the wooden building at B
-Removed a single wall at pre-A
-H*ck cubemaps all my homies hate cubemaps
-Raised the entire skybox by 128 units to let Soldiers do semi-pointless walljumps (it was really easy to do)