Silly Valve - A Thread of Odd Map Finds

Shoomonger

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 8, 2009
In ctf well the spawn room doors disapeared and I could see the skybox.

Bockagon

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2009
i found a dev texture in koth_nucleus the other night
koth_nucleus0000.jpg

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
In ctf well the spawn room doors disapeared and I could see the skybox.

Thats a bug, not a misstake in mapping. I also have this more or less often. Another thing that happens sometimes is, that the gates in dustbowl are turned around by 90°.

But this isnt exactly the topic of this thread.

Stormcaller3801

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 5, 2009

See, I figure that's just fine. If for no other reason than the fact I've seen wood that's been cut against the grain that looks more or less like that, as well as elevated doorways.

I know what's causing it, mind you, but I didn't think twice about it.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
See, I figure that's just fine. If for no other reason than the fact I've seen wood that's been cut against the grain that looks more or less like that, as well as elevated doorways.

I know what's causing it, mind you, but I didn't think twice about it.

Two brushes are overlapping with different textures or different texture alignments.

J4CK8

Mar 4, 2009
Also, modeling lazyness, if you use left handed viewmodels and equip the sandman (Like you ever would) you get the namdnas ball...sort of. (They only flipepd the viewmodels, and so the writing on the ball+bat=flipped)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Also, modeling lazyness, if you use left handed viewmodels and equip the sandman (Like you ever would) you get the namdnas ball...sort of. (They only flipepd the viewmodels, and so the writing on the ball+bat=flipped)

Don't be dissin' my reppasortcelE

AtomicTroop

L1: Registered
Oct 1, 2009
Dustbowl, Stage 1, red base. If you stand on the edge of the concrete roof, directly on top of the bunker door, the invisible door blocker brush will rise you up when someone comes out, making you levitate clearly in air.
Is this just something that's too obvious to post or am I the only one noticing it?

I also think this thing is the same in goldrush stage 1 red base... Might wanna check that out.

Last edited:

Nutomic

Feb 7, 2009
Dustbowl, Stage 1, red base. If you stand on the edge of the concrete roof, directly on top of the bunker door, the invisible door blocker brush will rise you up when someone comes out, making you levitate clearly in air.
Is this just something that's too obvious to post or am I the only one noticing it?

I also think this thing is the same in goldrush stage 1 red base... Might wanna check that out.

Ah yeah, had that once camping the red spawn as blu (before war started, nothing bad). Im only wondering how they get the door invisible, or why else you dont see the door model coming out at the top.

AtomicTroop

Oct 1, 2009
Uh, no. That doesn't make any sense 'cause the invisible brush comes through the roof. If it would just deform in a squishy way like that, it would never appear on the roof.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Uh, no. That doesn't make any sense 'cause the invisible brush comes through the roof. If it would just deform in a squishy way like that, it would never appear on the roof.

the BRUSH comes through the roof, the MODEL doesn't. the model isnt parented to the brush, the brush provides the dynamic collision mesh for the model so that when you shoot it it goes 'tink tink' as though its made of metal.

AtomicTroop

Oct 1, 2009
I don't remember mentioning a model there even once... :p
Yes, I map too, and have made doors too, just like just about everyone else here. I know how valve does their doors.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Then i think you mis interpreted sgt frag, he's talking about the model not the brush, and you commented on what he said. so indirectly you were talkign about the model.

Darth Cyrax

L2: Junior Member
Nov 29, 2008
well, this isn't really an error, but more of a psuedo-easter egg in koth_harvest_event

I present to you: the home of the Ghost of Zephaniah Mann

I troll you not. This is where the ghost goes to in between hauntings.
Why Valve decided to decorate the place is beyond me. I understand the need for the light, but this all seems a bit... excessive.