Silly Valve - A Thread of Odd Map Finds

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Yes, I recorded straight to Avi with Fraps.

Usually, I record a demo, then I play it back while recording with Fraps.

This one was short, so I just recorded right off the bat.

Ewww don't use fraps, it butchers the quality. Just convert straight from .dem to .avi.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Actually, Valve has confirmed that they do have one person "working" on a map, as Dario said.

Yep, just one person. Ocassionly they bring in 2 or 3 guys for an art pass.

Unlike Epic Games, who has a team which makes a map in pure gray (think dev), then playtest it to hell and back, and when there done they send it to there textures guys, then their lighting guys, and then back to the original guys who do more playtesting to make sure nothing got screwed up.

But valve still has better multi-player maps.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Ewww don't use fraps, it butchers the quality. Just convert straight from .dem to .avi.

Please give me one good reason to work on a one-minute video for five hours while I could record it, edit it and upload it to the Internet in half an hour instead.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
well there's displacements that don't line up properly on badwater and goldrush
(the displacement roof of the tunnels at start of stage3 has one, and i've seen another but can't remember where)
(badwater: just before the 1st point, where the building and the cliffs 'meet' is a small gap which you can't go down,but if you look at it, the floor there doesn't sew with the floor of the playable area)

Aug 19, 2008
a misaligned window at the bridgehouse before cp3 on badwater

3504243556_e93de4d5d2.jpg

Oct 6, 2008
There's a few goofs on badwater too...

I remember seeing a shot of a floating light in the long tunnel.

NO NO NO DUDE YOUR SUPOSED TO STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHT IN THE LONG TUNNEL!! :laugh:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Z fighting in dustbowl stage 2 cp 1 at the corner (shows up better ingame)
cp_dustbowl0012.jpg

Its leaning on air!
cp_badlands0001.jpg

And im sure barely anyone notices it. Thats why its valve material.. it looks good even though it has bugs but valve knows where players look at. And mappers just look a bit better to learn and see those mistakes faster... Its no problem to me at all, i for some reason like those mistakes as they come over like some easter egg in the did you know style.

Last edited:

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
couple of displacement mishaps on BLU spawn gate on stage 1 of dustbowl

cp_dustbowl0001.jpg

cp_dustbowl0002.jpg

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
You can build in the small side area of sawmill, on all three versions.