Severe lighting issues

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It could be something to do with the vertices of the correctly lit bridge overlapping the vertices of the dark bridge.

Nope, i already stated that its not cause of the overlap since moving it a few units didnt fix it.

@darth cryax also, I stated this in the OP, read it!

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
no, because the VDC says what I said..
see??

No, actually I don't:

VDC said:
-StaticPropLighting
Generate per-vertex prop_static lighting. This is always enabled for light_spot entities.
Note:Depending on the number of static props in the level, this can dramatically increase the size of the .bsp file and the length of time needed for vrad to finish.
Note:When using this setting, it disables all info_lighting entities in your level and it will light models as if there wasn't one linked to them.

That says to me: When using -staticproplighting, it disables info_lighting. Therefore, to not disable info_lighting, you'd want it without -staticproplighting. Which is what I originally said, but you said that wasn't the case. What am I missing?

But in any case, you said the only difference between the poorly lit prop and the one that isn't lighting properly is the rock prop blocking the origin. What happens when the rock prop isn't there? What happens when that same badly lit prop is completely by itself?

In other words, have you positively ruled out that the problem is not due to placement? Logically it should work as is, but we all know Hammer and vrad have their... "quirks."

Kep

Darth Cyrax

L2: Junior Member
Nov 29, 2008
I did read the first post, but missed the meaning of it. It was late at night, I was tired... and stupid.

Have you tried rotating it? Maybe moving some of the lights around?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
earkham, you implied that staticproplighting wouldnt function if you had an info lighting in your original post.

And since theres no change in hell I'm ever going to compile without staticproplighting any question of using an info lighting is answered with: "lolno"

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The model itself seems to work, so the position would be the issue, would it not?
Investigate what could cause it, How far must you move it until it lights properly?

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
if it really comes down to where to prop is placed since you said you put it in another part of the map and it lit up fine maybe just throw a giant box around your map and move it 512~768 units in another direction? That would make sense if what you were saying before is true. What happens if you rotate both props 180degrees? Like so the properly lit one is where the dark one is and vis-versa.

Dec 25, 2007
whilst the poorly lit one is inside one of those rock props. However its compiled with -staticproplighting so it shouldnt be using the origin at all for lighting.

Shouldn't, I agree. Actually doesn't is something else. There's no other evidence of anything being wrong, so: "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true"*: try hiding the rock prop in question and recompile the area again.

* Sherlock Holmes, renowned TF2 mapper and detective.