Secondthought

KotH Secondthought a1a

Sir Nick

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2018
Secondthought - Mixing up a classic gamemode

It may not be the first time this has been done, but here's my attempt.

King of the Hill works really nicely for 6v6, but is a bit too hectic for a 12v12. To try and fix this, I've made a KOTH map with TWO control points. I hear what you're saying, "That's crazy, it will never work!" You're probably right. but I have to try.

Each team will have to split their efforts to try and hold both points. The timer only go down when both points are held by a single team. To win, both points MUST be owned by a single team. This means overtime could potentially last a while. As such, the control timer has been reduced to 2 minutes.

The upper point is a bit more open to favor jumping and ranged classes. The lower point is a bit more close-quarters to favor pyro and heavy.

Known issues:
  • Overtime is a bit strange if the timer hits zero while the points are split with no cap time on either one.

Sir Nick

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2018
I made a minor tweak in the gameplay logic. Now the KOTH timers will pause unless both points are simultaneously owned by a single team. This fixes my overtime issue.

The thought came to me as I was lying in bed. I had to fight the urge to not sleep and just fix it right then and there.

Read the rest of this update entry...

G.bo

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 24, 2017
I like what you're trying to do with koth, but from personal experience, putting a point underground can be inconvenient. It requires players to be lead to that location, either through signs or subtle design. In my opinion, having them laid out similarly to Standin would help this out a little.

goem

L3: Member
Sep 15, 2016
Better idea:
  • Owning 1 point makes your time tick down
  • Owning 2 points makes your time tick down twice as fast
  • maybe like 5 - 7 minutes on the clocks
That way it's less stalemate-y with balanced teams.