Scoville

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
The Video is capped at a certain FPS. From both Sony Vegas' rendering, and Youtube.

Aug 19, 2008
awesome :D
so the animation is fluid in-game?
had the same problem with my dish on the transmitter, a simple "loop" behind in the qc did the job :)

love the custom content emerging from this contest

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqcVOJSFquc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqcVOJSFquc[/ame]

Another demonstration of the Death Fans. Now with more airblasting!

Aug 19, 2008
i´d pull the trigger a bit underneath the rotating blade, so it would look more like the player falls into it and then gets gibbed
atm it looks like the isn´t even touching it and dies

give it a shot, i might be wrong :)

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
8-2-09
Alpha 3 Released

- Added Stage 2

The Coolant Fields

Fight atop a series of deadly fans that cool the base below! But watch your step! Some fans have been uncovered for "routine maintenance" and are now a common enemy between you and the other team. If you want to go for the higher amounts of health and ammo, take a risk and evade the fans below! Race your Bomb through the more Arena-influenced Stage 2 of Scoville, and seize hostile control of The Coolant Fields!

plr_scoville_a30000.png

plr_scoville_a30001.png

plr_scoville_a30002.png

plr_scoville_a30003.png

plr_scoville_a30004.png

plr_scoville_a30005.png

Very special thanks to Ravidge, without whom, Alpha 3 wouldn't be here due to being engulfed in a fit of rage.

Get your Death Fan jumping going!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mexican Apple Thief

L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER
Aug 23, 2008
The first stage seemed pretty nice, but the second one is pretty big and looks like it could be cut down a bit. The ceilings were too low to ride the cart past, though that may have been your intention. And on the first stage the cart didn't automatically roll through the middle.

Otherwise looks promising.

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009
If you updated the version number for this thread when you updated I would update and test the version on my server when I checked all the contest maps every week.

Just added a3. I'll try and play it and give you feedback tomorrow.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
/me slaps void silly

You updated _a3 and didn't change the name... you don't EVER do that!!

BAD VOID!!!

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
Right, Scoville.

First off, I loved this map to death. As an offensive engie it has a number of very nice flanking routes with good locations for sneaky teleporters and powerful spots for suprise sentries. However, none of those locations were too powerful to become a true nest (a good thing!)

The blades of death were a little tricky a first, and a lot of people got killed by them. One engineer on the opposing team was able to place a teleporter inside of them that trapped players who teleported down there, forcing them to suicide.

On our second full round (second stage) the map was forced to end due to a PLR bug where both carts get stuck at the crossover. Unfortunately this cut our Scoville test a little short.

I really look forward to seeing this textured, and I want to play it more.

Cheers!
~Jami

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for the tips.

I know about those two issues and the telegriefing has been fixed via func_nobuilds. I'm not too sure about how to fix the crossover bug, though.

I'll look into it.

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
I think it's just an occasional bug with PLR. I've had it happen on my map as well. We've been unable to reproduce it to date.

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
Playedreally nicely, might consider lowering the setup time as PLR is better with less setting up. The fps was nice, tho its a bit early to start judging that this early. The saw thingies, make them nervegas to show a better icon (the saw one). Make the pits with saws nobuild, dont want engis to build teles there :/

The layout is nice. Enough alteernative routes, and also some height differentials, tho I think there could be more. I got really annoyed on one way (Stage 2 I think) where you end up in the dead end with windows only, as I lost myself there almost 10 times during 15 mins, and half the times chased by a Pyro (I was Spy -.-), and died :(
In the first stage there is a bit uselesly many doors from the spawnarea (where you are locked in setup). I took one to separate from rest of team and found out the path I took joined up with the other almost instantly after the spawn (like 10 meters after the door), and the huge amount of doors confuse the shit out of every living thing on earth.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
This was good from the tests I was forced into totally played of my own free will.

Dunno what the hell you were thinking, adding nobuilds to the fans. Moral of the story is don't take strange teleporters.

And until you fix the crossover bug, I don't have much more to say.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I like it, quite a bit. However I think you've let it's size run away with itself. It seems to become hard to get to the cart after a while and thats much less fun, I really don't think theres a whole lot in it though, maybe cutting 64 units off here or there would do the trick.

The more open stage with the fan pits... i really don't like those. you can fall down them and have no way back up even if you dont get instagibbed by the fan itself, and thats no fun at all. worst of all an engy can put a tele down there and trap people easily.

I look forward to future versions :)

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Voidles: The Death Fans make a return in Stage 3
Voidles: They cool down what Scoville is REALLY about. And we all know... "You can't hide... what's inside..."
-
Voidles: The Coolant Fields... it's all a lie! They weren't cooling it down! They were meant to keep the generator inactive! Frozen in a cryogenic state! He who controls the Coolant Fields controls the Generator's fate! Reignite the Generator, and if you didn't kill everyone on the opposite team, let it FINISH THE JOB.
-
Voidles: I still need to find a modeller that can commit himself to all the components of it, though.
-
Voidles: Serg, there won't be snow, but seeing as how the Coolant Fields were turned off after Stage 2, things might be... melting...
Chrono: :eek:

other_awesomenessShiftyEyes.gif

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Yarp yarp update narp harp.

- Fans now suck more than ever. "Why?" I hear you ask. Due to Matt's discovery of point_push working in TF2, I imported it from the Half Life 2 FGD and threw it into Boojum's FGD. Fans now suck things in based on a medium-sized Sphere.
- Nobuilded the Fan pits, if you're lucky enough to get past the aforementioned point_push.
- Lowered the fans over the capture points, a single jump now kills.
- Tinted lights to have a more rustic feel.
- Fixed Stage 1 bug where carts would collide and need the opposite team to co-operate momentarily, after which the players may resume to ruthlessly killing.
- Fixed Stage 2 crossover points to start moving the Payloads earlier.
- Thinned boards over the Fans in Stage 2 by 4 units. Boards are now more unstable and a riskier hope due to the point_push and the thinness.
- Scattered more Health and Ammo around the area.

Should cover most people's problems. A5 will come with detailing. No set time for the inclusion of Stage 3. Still not fully... inspired.

Available on the US server for now, with the separate download here:

Derp Derp Click Derp

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Since I was forced totally feel doing my of my own free will, here's my feedback.

Played well. Only real complaint was func_respawnrooms encompassed a fraction of the spawn. I expected them to be all over the inside.