Scoville

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
smtuer.jpg

Hammer shot of Cap B, BLU side. Can't be bothered to compile right now.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Void, I'd be willing to work with you to optimize this map. Optimization happens to be one of those things that's tedious that I end up really wanting to do. Call me twisted. Anyway, let me know if you'd like a helping hand.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
First stage looks nice, feels refreshing like a nice cold glass of lemonade in the summer. Keep up the good work!

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
May or may not be important, but I decided to post on the chance it is:
When looking at the overlay of the map the message
Warning: overflowed CClientRenderablesList group 7
comes up
Now...im not going to pretend I know what that means, but its the only map ive seen it on.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
May or may not be important, but I decided to post on the chance it is:
When looking at the overlay of the map the message

comes up
Now...im not going to pretend I know what that means, but its the only map ive seen it on.

I saw this too when nocliping through your map. I do believe I've seen this error before on an arena map... but like bobo I can't say what it means.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Optimization is not tedious; if it is, you're only shaving off tiny performance losses via draw distances, areaportals etc.

It -has- to be planned on a large scale, early on, to be successful, and that does not take very long at all.

Well considering right now the map is in a giant skybox box, I think the real optimization issue right now is quite apparent.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
The entire map isn't a huge skybox brush...

But enough about this, I know my optimization score will be low. Stage 1 is already chock full of Areaportals and other optimization, and is down to 5 minutes for a compile time.

Carry on.

SPHinx

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2009
Played this one yesterday for the first time. I LOVE the setup area in the first round. Very cool urban feel. Beautifully done, I thought.

Hmm . . . I haven't scoured through all the entries here. I guess that there have been comments about FPS or optimization? It was a bit jerky for me too. And some confusion in the final round with all of those fans chopping me up and falling to my death. I guess that's sort of the point?

Still fun. Still enjoyed it. Nice work.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Oh lawdy, I forgot to pack the Bobblehead's texture.

It's the Civilian Bobblehead. You've only found one.

Chibils

L1: Registered
Sep 19, 2009
I got to play this map earlier - very fun and is visually stunning. I love the first round in particular. No screenies, unfortunately. Things I noticed:
Round 1
- I was in front of the cart at the end of the first round and right as I got to the final point I got stuck between the wall and the cart. The round couldn't be completed until I was killed and the cart moved another centimeter or so.
- When I played it the next time around, I was an engi. I found it more difficult than most of the Valve maps as there are walls, corners, etc. but no real cover for teles, dispensers, or sentries. No matter where I went I was either in open sight from the opposing team or in the middle of a hallway. There is only one real point to drop a tele exit, the top "floor" in the middle of the map where the tracks swap.
- Placing teleporter entrances was tricky, as well. The only mostly-sheltered place for an entrance is out the right door and then immediately on your right. There's a railing that obscures view. No one on my team noticed it until I pointed it out two minutes in.
- There wasn't really a good sentry spot. Around a corner near the final point seemed to work well, but it's very easily destroyed by demo/soldier strafing or even coming around behind it. Getting to the nearby ammo box requires you to put yourself in clear LOS to the enemy.
- Played very well as a sniper, imo (using rifle; I'm not very good with the Huntsman). If it were more than 6v6, the sniper would be marginalized. By the time it hit 9v9, he would probably get lost in the crossfire/spam unless it was a killspamfest at mid (which happens a lot in pugs).
- I loved the look and feel of the map, but I felt the side passages were not really used to their full extent by most players.

Round 2
- I was busy taking notes.

Round 3
- Very difficult to play as an engineer. Seeing how this is the only plr map I've ever played besides Pipeline, maybe plr maps just aren't good for engies.
- There was no setup time. I don't know if this was intentional, but it hurts engies. Nice not to have to sit around when you're not one, though.
- It seems like it'd turn into a pyrofest. It did when I was playing, at least. The lines are close enough for them to strafe over, and compression blast destroys when you knock people off the "platform" that the carts travel. At the final point, compression blast is pretty op imo, as it works just as well as a pipe, force-a-nature or rocket without the travel time. Plus they are more prominent in the round since it seems to favor them.
- A lot of the map, while beautiful and interesting, is useless. The entire round revolves around a small segment in the middle.
- As a sniper, the best spot was at the final point. It was the high ground, gave a direct line of sight to the enemies pushing the cart, and was the most obvious spot. Something on the side will have LOS issues due to structuring and I beams in the middle.
- It compounds the issue of the choke and deathtrap there. I really love the final point aesthetically, but it seems dysfunctional to me. Once a cart hits the top of the hill to the final point, they've more or less already won unless the other cart is parallel. It's the best sniping spot (that I found, without too much looking at the rest of the map tbh), a really tight choke point, and a giant death pit. When we were playing earlier, it was almost impossible to stop a team once they got that far.

Last edited: