Scout Update is Officially Out!

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
I'm dissapointed of this update and:

Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon

Do they really think it's going to be useful? Nobody looks at weapons when checking spies, people just spray until a spy falls down

Faking shooting would help by a lot, and that would make him a real spy, not a ninja

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
I'm a bit annoyed at why it's called Egypt Final and Junction Final... seems very lazy.

It's cause Heyo had already released plain name versions and Valve wanted to avoid any conflicts with versions already on peoples PC's. I don't really get why people are hating on Egypt and Junction. I played them quite a bit tonight and they are just plain awesome.

Last edited:

DarkNoghri

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2008
You don't know how pissed off people were getting when I was ScatterStunning them. It was awesome! :D

I'm assuming you're talking about Baseball + FAN. Do you know why people get pissed off? Because there's almost nothing you can do about it (aside from dodge). Fully wound up Natascha heavy, and all I am is batting practice. That's so annoying that it's unreal. And as a fully wound up heavy, there's no counter, because there's no dodging. Total inability to counter something is a real pain. GAHHH.

krik3t

L2: Junior Member
Jan 21, 2009
Damn. Update in the middle of the week after midnight for Europe. I'm stuck in work for next 6 hours... :)

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
It's cause Heyo had already released plain name versions and Valve wanted to avoid any conflicts with versions already on peoples PC's. I don't really get why people are hating on Egypt and Junction. I played them quite a bit tonight and they are just plain awesome.

Wouldn't it just override the old versions? If everyone is downloading the new plain-name version...

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Wouldn't it just override the old versions? If everyone is downloading the new plain-name version...
i would think the files in the gcf would override anything in your maps folder

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Scout update? Meh. I was disappointed not to see any new Valve maps OR Meet the Team video.

The rest? AWESOME! The Spy update totally rules! Finally I can use disguises more efficently. This is going to be great!

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i love the new bat. is funny watching someone get stunned.

the taunt is also epic.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Local directory files always overrule cached data. I know this for sure because I have a friend that hates hydro so much he took another map and named it tc_hydro and left it in the directory so that if a server ever goes to it he is forced off due to conflict :lol:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Valve should at least override the name in game, like they do for Badwater or Arena maps.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, I said the Spy updates were awesome, and they kind of are, but why do Valve always leave massive, blatantly obvious bugs unfixed when they release something for the Spy? To name the worst, as a Spy you can now see the names of fully cloaked enemy Spies, and I'm pretty sure I saw a Spy's weapon appear immediately when he started to uncloak.

At least the new weapons aren't very annoying. The Scattergun is, in fact, the most annoying of them all, since there are now at least two Scouts nearby at all times, constantly firing their deadly superweapon. It's pretty hard to play my favourite class now (Spy).

And a bonus bug: In my first life on Egypt Final (name fail) I got stuck in a displacement wall that had a massive, badly sewn opening. I couldn't get out and I got gangbanged to death by three Scouts.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Scout update? Meh. I was disappointed not to see any new Valve maps OR Meet the Team video.

The rest? AWESOME! The Spy update totally rules! Finally I can use disguises more efficently. This is going to be great!

Yeah, wonder how it would help when all the nooby pyros spray around like usual

Well, I said the Spy updates were awesome, and they kind of are, but why do Valve always leave massive, blatantly obvious bugs unfixed when they release something for the Spy? To name the worst, as a Spy you can now see the names of fully cloaked enemy Spies, and I'm pretty sure I saw a Spy's weapon appear immediately when he started to uncloak.

Oh yeah, they still haven't fixed the failstabs...

Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
Do they really think it's going to be useful? Nobody looks at weapons when checking spies, people just spray until a spy falls down

Faking shooting would help by a lot, and that would make him a real spy, not a ninja

I used it. I shotted everyone with the primary weapon, because spies could't wear others.

Now anybody could be a spy.D:

Jan 31, 2008
Where's the payload map?
Why didn't you tell us you removed the spy's ability to sidestab?
Where's the meet the video?

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The new Scout/Announcer lines are awesome, though.

"If you order now, I'll throw in a second beating, absolutely free"

Amazing stuff.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Can't they just force in some app that deletes the cp_egypt in your folder and replaces it with the right one? Sounds very possible to me!

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
Can't they just force in some app that deletes the cp_egypt in your folder and replaces it with the right one? Sounds very possible to me!

They could go through the whole process of developing a program that unwarranted deletes files off your PC or just can just stick _final onto the end of it and avoid any conflicts. I don't see how it's a big deal. It's not like it's killing you to see _final on the end of it.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Well the spy thing is broken.

One server told me to not backstab while disguised because it would crash the server and I'd be banned until it was fixed. I never saw it happen so I don't know.

But I did bump into a cloaked Spyro and saw the usual red shape of him but his axe turned full render, not the outline 'ghost ' thing like the spy.