Scout Update Becoming Live!

JohnnyB.Morbid

L1: Registered
Jan 13, 2009
further away = more stun? wtf that's like gravity reversing. I don't like the sound of it hope it can't kill my sentry,
scouts balling my sentry!

Mortos

Jan 26, 2009
We'll just need to see how the baseball mechanism plays out. I could live without my double jump if it's really useful.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I wonder if it'll be irritating as a target of the baseball. I mean at least with Natasha you still get to keep moving. But if the stun period is short and accompanied by a good dizziness effect then it shouldn't seem too bad. Hopefully it's not too easy to bean somebody with the ball.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I see a lot of comments about being stunned that are along the lines of "well it might not so bad" or "I guess that could be acceptable". This alone makes me wonder what on earth Valve was thinking. Introducing a significant new mechanic should be evoking comments of "hey that's pretty cool" or "ooh, interesting". I have to wonder how this went from internal testing to "the public will love it!".

Even if someone wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a new kind of attack or effect, discussion could include ways of countering it. Instead, people are offering up ideas on how it might counter itself. Again, game design red flag time. The counter should be the other player, not an ammo limit or other drawback.

JohnnyB.Morbid

Jan 13, 2009
Runnin’ rings around all them molasses-slow dummies out there on the battle- field is thirsty frickin’ work. But when it comes to quenchin’ that thirst, only one thermonuclear thirst detonator packs all the “Atomic Punch” you’ll ever need. Bonk! is fulla radiation, which as we all know is pretty great for givin’ people superpowers. Just one can’ll blast ya into a few-second rush of radioactive energy so powerful you’ll be dodgin’ bullets like they ain’t even there!
Note: Bonk! contains several hundred times the daily recommended allowance of sugar. After the beneficial effects of the radiation wear off, drinkers have reported experiencing feelings of lethargy that can last several seconds. Reading this sentence absolves Bonk! of any liability for killing sprees inspired by or deaths resulting from the ingestion of Bonk! Enjoy Bonk! responsibly… Or by the case!

This is cool!!!! seriously fuck sandman this will be awesome.

I'm Bat Man:
im_bat_man.png

Moon Shot:
moon_shot.png

No Hitter:
no_hitter.png

Out of the Park:
out_of_the_park.png

Pop Fly:
pop_fly.png

Quick Hook:
quick_hook.png

Race for the Pennant:
race_for_the_pennant.png

Retire the Runner:
retire_the_runner.png

Round Tripper:
round_tripper.png

Set the Table:
set_the_table.png

Side Retired:
side_retired.png

Stealing Home:
stealing_home.png

Strike Zone:
strike_zone.png
Drunk Pyro achievement
The Big Hurt:
the_big_hurt.png

The Cycle:
the_cycle.png

Triple Play:
triple_play.png

Triple Steal:
triple_steal.png

A Year to Remember:
a_year_to_remember.png

Artful Dodger:
artful_dodger.png

Batter Up:
batter_up.png

Batting the Doctor:
batting_the_doctor.png

Beanball:
beanballl.png

Belittled Beleauger:
belittled_beleauger.png

Block the Plate:
block_the_plate.png

Brushback:
brushback.png

Caught Napping:
caught_napping.png

Closer:
closer.png

Doctoring the Ball:
doctoring_the_ball.png

Dodgers 1, Giants 0:
dodgers_1_giants_0.png

Fall Classic:
fall_classic.png

First Blood:
first_blood.png

First Blood, Part 2:
first_blood_part_2.png

Foul Territory:
foul_territory.png

Gun Down:
gun_down.png

If You Build It:
if_you_build_it.png

also posted in new topic

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
I see a lot of comments about being stunned that are along the lines of "well it might not so bad" or "I guess that could be acceptable". This alone makes me wonder what on earth Valve was thinking. Introducing a significant new mechanic should be evoking comments of "hey that's pretty cool" or "ooh, interesting". I have to wonder how this went from internal testing to "the public will love it!".

Even if someone wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a new kind of attack or effect, discussion could include ways of countering it. Instead, people are offering up ideas on how it might counter itself. Again, game design red flag time. The counter should be the other player, not an ammo limit or other drawback.

Maybe its just me...but im getting quite tired of you showing up and criticizing every single update...

As for this everyone thinking about being on the attack end of this weapon...well just compare the number of people that have scout as their main class to people who get irritated at good scouts...more people are bound to be in the 2nd category, as such they will think in terms of the way an update with most effect to them. Im sure you can find some hardcore scout enthusiasts that will absolutely love this.

Then the other thing about other players should be the counter not some kind of drawback...honestly, that is just garbage. I mean honestly, your not going to suggest that scouts having less health is not a reasonable drawback for being fast. Or that soldiers shouldn't have to reload their rockets, and be able to shoot 16 (or perhaps the original much higher amount before it was limited) rockets consecutively with no delay. Sure, other players should be a counter for everything, but it doesn't make sense if the weapon or even class doesn't have some kind of drawback...what else keeps everyone from always using the same stuff...

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Achem!

Scout are op. With TFTrue on there weapon has the highest point blank damage in the game. 118! Demoman pipes are only 98! The scouts speed allows them to get point blank, 2 hit a medic or solider, and escape alive. This new BONK drink will allow scouts to go even faster, get in, kill the medic, and get out so fast that bullets don't even hurt them! The last thing scouts need is more speed, this will make them ridiculous in comp play, so rediculousy that some leagues might remove this weapon from play.

But we haven't played with it yet, so why are we bitching?

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
But we haven't played with it yet, so why are we bitching?

this ^

but yeah...the scattergun may have a higher base damage but the close range ramp up soldiers and demos recieve along with a random damage factor, allows one hit kills, i have never seen a scout do 150 in one shot. Not to mention judging a game based on a mod isn't exactly accurate...

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
...well just compare the number of people that have scout as their main class to people who get irritated at good scouts...

There's truth to this. I don't use the scout very much at all, and I especially don't use the newly updated class until the flood subsides. I'll be on the receiving end of the new Scout weapons for quite some time.

So, I'm guessing that Bonk soda is the replacement for the Scout's pistol, because he's still got his scattergun out in the picture. I sure don't mind losing the Scout's pistol one bit. But do you figure it works like the Sandwich and you get as many as you want?

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
OP updated :)

Looks like the new scattergun is gonna have some type of effect to make the scout be able to jump higher or reach places they couldn't before very quickly.

Queops

L2: Junior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Question: why are there a thousand topics about this matter on these forums already?