Releasing A Map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by radarhead, Dec 15, 2013.

1. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    I'm ready to release an alpha of a map I'm working of to this site, but I cannot seem to find a clear, concise tutorial about how to pack a map and upload it, what folder to find my map in, etc. If one exists, can someone please link to it?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    Your compiled map(s) is in Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\ as well as in the directory your VMF file is in.

You should pack your map into a .zip file, using WinRAR or 7zip.
    Then simply upload the .zip to Dropbox or other comfortable upload/download services.

Post a new thread in this forum. Add your download link and you're good.

3. radarhead

Positive Ratings:
    Also, must the teamcolor dev textures from the ABS pack be packed specially? And are the cubemaps already within the map file?

4. Izotope

Positive Ratings:
    Any contents that do not come with TF2 must be packed using pakrat or packBSP or whatever the names are :p

And yes, the cubemaps are already within the map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    No, cubemaps are not in the file already, you have to build them.

You need to do the following in your console:

If you have HDR lighting:
    -load the map
    -mat_specular 0
    -buildcubemaps
    -disconnect
    -mat_hdr_level 0
    -map <mapname>
    -buildcubemaps
    -disconnect
    -mat_specular 1
    -mat_hdr_level 2
    -reload map and confirm reflections are working

If you don't have HDR lighting:
    -load the map
    -mat_specular 0
    -buildcubemaps
    -disconnect
    -mat_specular 1
    -reload map and confirm reflections are working

This will cycle through each of your cubemap entities in the map and take a quick picture from every direction. You do mat_specular 0 to turn off the current pink checkerboard reflections so they don't show up when they are in properly.

Afterwards you'll want to pack in your custom content, a common tool currently is VIDE.

If you want to go the extra step, you can compress your map into a BZ2 file using 7zip and upload that as well. This is for server owners and saves them a step for putting your map on their server. A regular ZIP of the BSP file is for players who just want to load it up and run around, or predownload it.

6. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I actually thought the colored dev textures were in tf2 officially now. I'm wrong, I guess?

7. FiLi

FiLi L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    The best way to pack your maps is in .bz2 format. This saves a lot of time when it comes to uploading to a server. The 7zip program has the ability to create that type of archive.
    And, if you're not already using dropbox, I'd highly recommend you do. All you have to do with it is throw your files in a designated folder and as long as it's uploaded you have an almost permanent link. Plus, people on here generally appreciate if you do :>

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure they are.

9. radarhead

Positive Ratings:
    So I shouldn't need to pack them in with VIDE? Or should I try it anyway just to check?

10. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well I sent my friend who almost definitely doesn't have ABS my map that's made out of red and blue textures without packing them and they didn't see anything wrong with them. ABS might have its own red and blue dev textures though but I have no real idea.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. radarhead

Positive Ratings:
    Also, do I pack the NAV file into the .bz2 or .zip as well?

12. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    you can pack the nav file into the actual bsp. Otherwise, yes, if the nav file is important to your map, just pack it along with the bsp. Most maps (that aren't mvm) don't have navs.

13. Izotope

Positive Ratings:
    What I meant was that he doesn't have to pack anything to the bsp in order for the cubemaps to work, of course you gotta build them first, just thought it was obvious :p