rampage_devforts

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Gameday BUMP!

And don't worry, I already fixed the Soldier Exploit.

However, I'm thinking of taking this in a different direction. Tell me what you think of this:

Removing the rather fragile and alltoghethr unrepairable computers, and replacing them with a flag. The flag would return after 20 or so seconds, at which time the orange blocks woudl respawn, re-covering the flag.

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
I like the concept as it is so far, and it sounds like you have some good ideas to improve it. I like the idea of being able to re-cover the vulnerable area, though would that remove the progress that was made so far?

Is this going to be a multi-stage affair or just the one?

My only real suggestion would be to tighten up the central area, it feels a bit too big and open, and could use some elevation here and there (outside of the spawn area).

Nice work so far!

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Thank you. It would not remove the damage done so far if we stick to the computers, and I can't see it being too much of a problem in CTF.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Aside from the game ending before setup finished, it was pretty fun for a deathmatch type kinda map.

It seemed like everyone went on offence, and it was just a race to see which team got spawncamped. you might wanna make the bases a little more elaborate to provide some indoor gameplay.

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
I'm thinking whether it would be better to split up the computers and put them farther from spawn so it wouldn't be a spawncampfest. Maybe make it kinda like ctf_well where you need to go behind the spawn to get to the computers.

I like that the map has so many fun breakable things (breakable stuff are fun, ask my map :p), my personal preference is that the blocks should have a lower hp so they're easier to break. But that's just me.

The main door of the building seems really easy to get sniped though, but on gameday since everyone is going soldier I can't tell whether this is going to be a problem or not.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
I agree anout splitting up the computers and prehaps moving around the spawns. However, I was shocked to find out that TF2 allows for a mere 8 control points.

In fact, over the course of yesterday, I dropped one computer and buffed the remaining three, and gave one CP over that, upon capture, respawns the orange blocks.

I do agree, though, that it would be interesting to see a different layout for the objective.

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
Some notes from our fun play session this evening:

- Being able to regenerate the shields by being near them is awesome. Perhaps even more attention needs to be drawn to this to be super-obvious?

- Definitely block off anyone from being able to get to the top of the bases. We had Boojum lobbing grenades at our computers for awhile and it was hard to get a bead on him way up there.

- Beef up the computers themselves. The shields seem pretty solid to take down, but once you get into the chewy center, they collapse rather quickly.

- Perhaps some more cover in the center point? It's pretty good so far, and I think only needs a bit more. Maybe something with a bit of elevation.

Keep up the awesome work :D

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
I posted this in the bomb factory thread, but then realized it was more appropriate here:

I like how your current Rampage settup forces players to actively assault the computers themselves - adding a decision/payoff for choosing to defend themselves while attacking or just focus fire on the shields to see if they can bring them down a bit more before they die. (i.e. choosing between fighting enemy players or firing on the objective)

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
This was fun. I don't really have much feedback...

Um, but I do wish there was some way we could tell how much HP the computers had, somehow?

I don't really think that's possible though..?

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Impromptu Test Bump.

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
You've got a lot of good stuff going here:

Destructible environment has a ton of awesome gameplay ramifications - no two rounds play out the same way, it's entertaining, it acts as a round closing mechanic (as more of a base is destroyed, the more the computer shield is exposed, meaning a match will draw to an inevitable close), cover is dynamic and therefor so is combat, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, you've set things to only receive damage from one team or the other - very good anti-griefing establishment

The map seems appropriately sized, as you don't want it too big once walls are starting to be taken out, leaving vast plains of death.

Good HUD workaround, until the day when hell frezeth and Valve releaseth support for custom HUD implementation (damnit, they keep adding new ones of their own!), although it seems that splashing damage (I tested this for Demo and somewhat Soldier) can skip through the normal 1-2-3 procedure and blow all of the computers up at once (I think they're still taking the appropriate amount of damage and all, but just in chunks that the interface doesn't catch - dunno if it can be fixed)

I love how you set up the re-capturable shield. That's excellent, right there. You might play around with the capture time on it - but I haven't seen it in multiplayer action yet so I couldn't advise on whether it needs to be longer/shorter/is already perfect because you've been testing it so ignore me and my silliness.

All that said, I only have a couple concerns. Because of how Valve set up phys brushes and doors and such, demo stickies and other projectiles like urine never come to rest on them. It's a little funky to see Jarate bounce off a wall, but hey - I guess you can't really work around that. As someone else suggested, I'd advise getting the computers farther from the spawn by either moving the spawn forward (perhaps into a forward building or below-ground bunker) or moving the computers away (splitting them up does sound interesting - I'd say to two separate points with their own shield and single cp so that teams have to manage attacking/defending multiple areas, but then you lose some indication of how much progress you've made as more of the HUD is taken up, although the gameplay trade-off might be worth it, dunno) so that it doesn't ever feel strictly like a campfest.

Oh, and I like Ten19's suggestion of perhaps more available high ground in the middle, perhaps it could be associated with the perhaps-moved spawn?

I wanna try and make to the next playtest! :D

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Haha.

I love it when Chrono tries to jack the map and get people to basekill.

Thanks guys.

Some new screens got added. Enjoy!

Furthermore, gameday bump!

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
hum...aside from the Red-Faction-esque destroyable landscape, this map/gamemode seems ODDLY familiar to me ¬_¬

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
What can I say? =D Of course you were a huge inspiration here. I felt the need to take the destruction a step further, and add my own concepts.

For examply, my map features a protective layer to conceal the computers, that, once broken, can be repaired by capping a control point for your team.

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I've never played this but the concept sounds alot like mercenaries 2 - able to destroy nearly everything.

Ezekel

Dec 16, 2008
What can I say? =D Of course you were a huge inspiration here. I felt the need to take the destruction a step further, and add my own concepts.

For examply, my map features a protective layer to conceal the computers, that, once broken, can be repaired by capping a control point for your team.

nice to know that i'm in inspiration :)

just next time, could you maybe make a note somewhere "inspired by the map so-and-so". afterall credit given, where credit is due for that guy who put the work into brainstorming the idea and then developing the entity system within hammer to support it that inspired you to create your rampage of the devforts. ;)

Zanpa

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 17, 2009
All CTF maps should include a note "inspired by ctf_2fort". Because, you know, this was the first TF2 map to use CTF, and every other CTF map uses its entity system.

Or maybe not ?

Edit @ under : yeah, I was just trying to be funny.

Last edited:

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Nah, he's right, the similarities are pretty large here.

Ezekel

Dec 16, 2008
All CTF maps should include a note "inspired by ctf_2fort". Because, you know, this was the first TF2 map to use CTF, and every other CTF map uses its entity system.

Or maybe not ?

Edit @ under : yeah, I was just trying to be funny.

and failing, everyone know that every CTF map is inspired by the 1992 game "capture the flag" (wikipedia FTW XD)