Railyard

KotH Railyard A7B

8BitFenix

L1: Registered
Mar 30, 2020
Trainyard - Mishmash of maps I like

My first serious tf2 map, it is a combination of cool things in other maps, It has a layout similar to viaduct, with the underground section of coalplant, and a train on the point that runs every time a team caps because why not.

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
Changelog:

-The size of the crane building has been decreased to make the surrounding areas less chokey, also filled in the bottom part to stop it from being massive

-Underground passage has been increased in size to limit the effectiveness of explosive classes

-filled in sniper room as it was way too big, also added medium medkit and ammo there

-Medkit and ammo near flatcar have been moved closer to the point

-Added hazard tape around the point to show where it can be capped

-Replaced metal barrier with brush on sniper deck so that it can't be abused

-Fixed clipping to stop building atop spawn

-Train has been switched from Freyas train prefab to a custom one, gates no longer open and there aren't any warning lights, but this means that there are now team specific trains and they are longer.

-Changed name to "Railyard" from "Trainyard" since another map from 6 years ago uses "Trainyard"

-Added some custom props from
https://tf2maps.net/downloads/tf2-emporium-vehicle-prop-pack.440/
and
https://tf2maps.net/downloads/railroad-tracks.5261/

Read the rest of this update entry...

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
Changelog:

-The size of the crane building has been decreased to make the surrounding areas less chokey, also filled in the bottom part to stop it from being massive

-Underground passage has been increased in size to limit the effectiveness of explosive classes

-filled in sniper room as it was way too big, also added medium medkit and ammo there

-Medkit and ammo near flatcar have been moved closer to the point

-Added hazard tape around the point to show where it can be capped

-Replaced metal barrier with brush on sniper deck so that it can't be abused

-Fixed clipping to stop building atop spawn

-Train has been switched from Freyas train prefab to a custom one, gates no longer open and there aren't any warning lights, but this means that there are now team specific trains and they are longer.

-Changed name to "Railyard" from "Trainyard" since another map from 6 years ago uses "Trainyard"

-Added some custom props from
https://tf2maps.net/downloads/tf2-emporium-vehicle-prop-pack.440/
and
https://tf2maps.net/downloads/railroad-tracks.5261/

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
Changelog:

-Added patches under health and ammo

-Adjusted geometry, made a lot of walls thinner

-Redid entire sewers, made them much more open, added more ways in and out, made small health and ammo medium

-Moved health and ammo near point back since the sewers now have more pickups

-Changed train kill icon from generic to train

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
-Removed custom props to reduce filesize

-Repacked map to further reduce filesize

-Removed decorative props to improve compile times and make map edits faster

-Redid the entire main building and sniper area to make sight-lines less overpowered and encourage varied sniping positions

-Added more space between main building and transition building

-Changed the passageway to the sniper area into one for the main building

-Removed a lot of dead space to make the map smaller

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
Changelog:

-Massive changes to connector, spawn, courtyard, added lots of height variation

-Added a building to the right side of the map

-Added signs to guide players to the point and decoration

-Added decorative billboard

-Added lighting settings from badlands

-Now with HDR!

Zeropalooba

Oct 4, 2017
Really nice map, the screenshot does NOT do it justice. You should try putting an in-game photo as the screenshot. There are multiple pathways on for each team to allow for creative plays. There is a problem with the clipping on the train gates which player can get on top of and have a really cheesy angle.

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
Really nice map, the screenshot does NOT do it justice. You should try putting an in-game photo as the screenshot. There are multiple pathways on for each team to allow for creative plays. There is a problem with the clipping on the train gates which player can get on top of and have a really cheesy angle.
Thanks for the heads up, the train gates exploit has been patched for the next version. As for the screenshots, I will try and get some nice looking ones up on the page tomorrow.

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
Changelog:

-Added more signs and made slight changes to the current ones

-Railings now are non solid and have a player clip covering them to let projectiles pass

-Lightbulbs are now non-solid

-Spawns are now a tiny bit more compact

-Added small amounts of detailing in some places

-A brand new route to get to mid!

-The exit from the building near point is now closer to the point, also the building is a bit thicker

-Closed up main door in mid building, opened up the side to compensate

-Messed with sightlines some more by moving the train cars once again. Now they are closer to their original position

-Tightened up mid as it was too wide before

-Fixed an exploit where players could stand on top of the train gates

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
This version has some big changes, since A6 played very nicely I'm doing some experimental layout changes, If it doesn't play well I can just fall back to A6. The main focus of this release is to make the underground area less overpowered, and to give the attackers more ways to attack the point so that retakes are easier.

Changelog:

-Removed the train that crosses the point as buildings got in the way :(

-Changed the skybox from badlands to sky_twilight_01 by Void (Lighting settings have also been changed to reflect this)

-The underground area has been made much smaller, now only has 2 ways to get in instead of 4, also the amount of health in it has been decreased from 2 medium kits to 2 small kits

-The floor under the point is now glass so that players can see if a person is in the underground area

-Did a very small amount of artpass in places that I know I won't change

-The buildings beside the point are now much larger and exit closer to the point

-The raised up area between the main building and the one beside the point is now raised up even higher

-Moved health and ammo around

-Added windows

-Now with proper cubemaps!

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
It turns out that cubemaps caused compile pal to compile without packing, repacking or the navmesh. Because of this the map was broken since the skybox and some props were not included with the map. I have been unable to figure out why cubemaps break Compile Pal, so the map is now using default cubemaps instead. So reflections and such will not be as accurate until I figure out the issue.

8BitFenix

Mar 30, 2020
8BitFenix updated Railyard with a new update entry:

A7B - Back From The Grave

It's been over two years since I've last worked on this map so I've forgotten about what works and what doesn't. This is just a little update to fix some glaring issues and bring it up to speed.
  • Removed the majority of the detailing and signs, out of place for an alpha.
  • Removed all custom assets, these were cool but unneeded in alpha.
  • Minor geometry changes and fixed the huge sightlines on the point (oops).
  • Map is now daytime again, skybox was cool but lighting everything...