question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Cynder loves Portal, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Cynder loves Portal

Cynder loves Portal L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    What is the maximum height you can build tower block in hammer and it'll still work in TF2 or any source game?

or can I make it any height as long as I can seal the skybox without leaks?

2. Ihauoli

Ihauoli L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It can't touch the edge of the editor, If I remember correctly.
    other than that, you're good.

3. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Not quite. Ridiculously huge brushes may cause problems for the compiler, and the default farz plane will abruptly cut off rendering at a certain distance (you can increase that distance, but at the cost of performance). Your best bet is to split up big things into multiple brushes, even if you don't need to structurally - not only will it give vbsp an easier time, it will also help you optimize lightmaps and avoid overlay issues.

4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Doesn't vbsp already cut large faces?

5. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, every 1024 or so iirc, but the compiler doesn't do well with ridiculously large brushes like 7000 hu.

6. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Why are you thinking of doing this. Is it a skyscraper or something outside the map?

7. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    In fact, VBSP also cuts faces that exceed the limit of 32x32 lightmap cells on them.
    Unconfirmed, but probable: This may cause the compiler to fail with ridiculously large displacements with relatively big cell densities, because it can't cut a displacement or a displacement triangle.

8. Cynder loves Portal

Cynder loves Portal L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was thinking a skyscraper for a map, that's why I asked.

9. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just do it in the skybox. Since the skybox is shrunk a ton, it'll look just like it's there, except that it is 1/16th(I think) of the size. Here's a good guide on making one: https://tf2maps.net/threads/guide-seamless-3d-skyboxes.24667/

• Agree Agree x 1