Propane

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
A HUGE thanks to The Political Gamer for this release :3

Alpha 3 Released - 27th May 2010 - 15:46 GMT
Stage 1
  • Added a path to a balcony towards the end of the stage to aid blue in attacking
  • Added a balcony to the left of red's spawn also
  • Blocked off the door under the bridge to aid blue in flanking
  • Tightened the area around red spawn up

Stage 2
  • Added a doorway to the building with the stairs to the area next to it
  • Moved the spawn area around a bit
  • Tightened the area up around red's spawn

Stage 3
  • Added a ramp near the building at final point to aid red's defensive capabilities
  • Added a ramp in the lower area just after the capture point

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
... I think you changed pretty much what I was going to say. :p

So I'll just drop in to tell you I like the map! I had a lot of fun playing it.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Notes from Impromptu - Please post your own feedback, it is GREATLY appreciated!

In general
  • Stage 1 should be swapped with Stage 3

Stage 1
  • Stage 1 is still too hard to win as attack
  • Red has the ability to push back, and push back hard (why is this?)
  • The whole area around the bridge needs work done, how much, I'm not so sure.

Stage 2
  • Stage two seemed fine to me, anyone have any suggestions?

Stage 3

Now what did You Guys think?

EDIT: I think I found the problem in stage 3: This building It lets blu pass by the main first combat area and get behind red. So if I block the doorway on the bottom across from the screenshot and the one inside where the screenshot was taken should force them to use that one doorway, making it easier for red to handle them.

Last edited:

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
pl_kickass_a3sniper.jpg

A large sniper line. ^
The whole map was pretty open to be honest.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Testing this is skewed until you stop letting engineers build behind their visualizers. The func_respawnroom should usually be up to them to prevent it and so players have a standard to expect for where they can switch class. But at least use a nobuild.

Also, stage two's red spawn is horrible, because blue has an enormous sightline to just spam/snipe down while pushing the final point.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Testing this is skewed until you stop letting engineers build behind their visualizers. The func_respawnroom should usually be up to them to prevent it and so players have a standard to expect for where they can switch class. But at least use a nobuild.

Also, stage two's red spawn is horrible, because blue has an enormous sightline to just spam/snipe down while pushing the final point.

Hrm, I got told to add the respawnroomvisualizers at setupgates, when I don't think it happens in goldrush, and in goldrush people can build behind their setupgates. (however, red I think can get past their setupgates so...) I'll nobuild it though since red can't get there. With the respawnroom I'm going by Goldrush. Having a small respawn room and then after that a setup area without the respawnroom.

I'll also look at stage 2 red's spawn. Thanks for the feedback :)

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
The place where the battle meets on stage 2-2 is horrible. Both teams spent five minutes spamming at the doorway outside red's spawn.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
So I've been thinking about the end of s2 a bit. The changes I'm thinking of making are:

kickass017.jpg

I want the buildings marked in yellow to come into play in the attack/defence role more, make them more rewarding for attackers, but leave them more open to attack or something. (Think badwater final with the building with the windows. Something like that) Moving the tunnel that was spammed to where is marked in blue might help, since when blue get past the control point right now they're pretty much guaranteed to get down to the bottom. This would help red fall back and have a second defensive area after the point to help them get their footing back. I also think I need to do something to fix the sniperline marked in green.

kickass018.jpg

To fix the sniperline a bit, maybe lower down the area marked in purple and raise the bit marked in brown. (maybe extend the raised area to the buildings marked in yellow in the previous pic) I'll also add some crates and things along the way.

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I only had a chance to play Stage 1 before my connection dropped out on me, but I must say I very much enjoyed it. It even already looks sexy!

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Alpha 4 Released - 30th May 2010 - 18:00 GMT
Generally
  • Added some basic ground and wall textures (before you ask NO it won't all be surrounded by cliffs, it's simply temporary)
  • Made the gates inbetween stages less radical

Stage 1
  • Added cover to red spawn balconies
  • Added a second way for blu to get onto the bridge/overpass
  • Added a second door to the balcony to aid blue
  • Moved the doorways around in the building near red spawn
  • Added an extra tunnel from blu spawn into the building
  • Removed the railings where the detailed balcony is
  • Removed the stickyouty bit where the detailed balcony is

Stage 2
  • Moved the red spawn around a bit more to stop the huge sniperline
  • Removed the tunnel that was spammed heavily
  • Added some cover to where the tunnel was/around that area
  • Fixed badly clipped stairs

Stage 3
  • Removed a door that let blue easily flank from the very beginning
  • Changed doorways near the red spawn to help aid red's defensive capabilities

Last edited:

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
pl_kickass_a40010.jpg

You maybe want to fix that :D
+You can shoot over the buildings in setup phase
---
For some reason, the first stage seemed much harder than the 2nd and 3rd round. Dunno what you can do about it.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
For some reason, the first stage seemed much harder than the 2nd and 3rd round. Dunno what you can do about it.

Cough not disabled playerclip in the second stage cough

Aug 10, 2009
To make a late comment on your first proposed screenshot, I would add the blue but keep the original red building, and expand the second half of the yellow building out towards final cap, looping the track through it to break the sightline (kind of like goldrush stage 2), which could also present an opportunity to make the yellow building all the more useful, also allowing you to add some vertical space.

EDIT: Judging from the distances of your second screenshot, I would open up that 'U' turn a good bit more too.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Alpha 5 Released - 31st May 2010 - 18:20 GMT
General
  • Got rid of most of the dev textures

Stage 1
  • Upgraded hp/ammo and added more
  • Added lights to previously dark areas
  • Extended cover on the red balcony
  • Changes to blu spawn, rather large ones

Stage 2
  • Fixed the clip not disabling

Stage 3
  • Added a ramp in the building leading to one of blue's setup doors
  • Upgraded defenders hp and ammo after tunnel
  • Removed full hp in tunnel.
  • Added asplosion
  • Moved final cap back to aid defence

Last edited:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I really enjoyed playing it, apart from stage 3 which had a ridiculously spammy corner.

I really didn't like how blue had all of the height advantage in stage one, but because of that, it meant that it was red who had to work really hard to win rather than blue, which is an interesting twist for the map.

Consider opening up a little bit more of height to red for them to access, and definitely do something about spawncamping of red on stage 1. Blue found a way to sneak behind red, and get height advantage when spawncamping, which sucked