Postitioning

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Is there any way to change limb positioning in hammer for models such as the robot models like in SFM as i need a robot in a certain position for my map, but have no idea on how to do it.

Mar 23, 2013
i need a robot in a certain position for my map

That can be done, but your title says you need to move a single part of the model? You can play certain animations over the a default animation (like player models giving a thumps up) but only things that are animations compiled in the model.
If you just need to move around the entire prop, entity teleporters or parenting it to a moving entity do the job.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
So the way I would do it is create an animation for it in sfm, then import that into hammer and pair it to the model?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
I think you need to recompile the model to include custom sequences… not sure if these can be imported from SFM, but hopefully so.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
I think you need to recompile the model to include custom sequences… not sure if these can be imported from SFM, but hopefully so.
How would you recompile them to do so? Would it be a step in blender or a line in the qcscript?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Well make sure you're making another MDL file.
Blender might be needed to animate - you certainly can export animations from there into a DMX. Then use qc to make your custom model have your own animation.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Hopefully I can use sfm to create the animations, as I remember an option to save a characters animation, then are able to export that into another model. I will try tomorrow

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I think the engine supports loading in additional animations from external files. Problem is, I don't think that's accessible from the map logic.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
When browsing for models, I often seem to find animations for characters. I have no real idea but my main theory is that you load an animation in a prop and then parent that to a model

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
When browsing for models, I often seem to find animations for characters. I have no real idea but my main theory is that you load an animation in a prop and then parent that to a model
You mean like how the character models will have one version that's just standing there and then another that stores all the animations? Yeah, I would bet those both reference the same model data somehow and that you too could make a "model" that's just a reference to an existing model with new sequence data. No idea how it works though.