Postitioning

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by DrSquishy, May 30, 2017.

1. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is there any way to change limb positioning in hammer for models such as the robot models like in SFM as i need a robot in a certain position for my map, but have no idea on how to do it.

2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    That can be done, but your title says you need to move a single part of the model? You can play certain animations over the a default animation (like player models giving a thumps up) but only things that are animations compiled in the model.
    If you just need to move around the entire prop, entity teleporters or parenting it to a moving entity do the job.

3. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    So the way I would do it is create an animation for it in sfm, then import that into hammer and pair it to the model?

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    I think you need to recompile the model to include custom sequences… not sure if these can be imported from SFM, but hopefully so.

5. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    How would you recompile them to do so? Would it be a step in blender or a line in the qcscript?

6. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Well make sure you're making another MDL file.
    Blender might be needed to animate - you certainly can export animations from there into a DMX. Then use qc to make your custom model have your own animation.

7. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Hopefully I can use sfm to create the animations, as I remember an option to save a characters animation, then are able to export that into another model. I will try tomorrow

8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    I think the engine supports loading in additional animations from external files. Problem is, I don't think that's accessible from the map logic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    When browsing for models, I often seem to find animations for characters. I have no real idea but my main theory is that you load an animation in a prop and then parent that to a model

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    You mean like how the character models will have one version that's just standing there and then another that stores all the animations? Yeah, I would bet those both reference the same model data somehow and that you too could make a "model" that's just a reference to an existing model with new sequence data. No idea how it works though.