Portal 2 comic? Portal 2 comic!

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
What I want to know is how many times ratman went through the test. He had enough time to write all the wistful companion-cube-related poetry in that one test chamber, and then somehow aquired another companion cube by the time the events of portal 1 unfolded (as we can see he has one strapped to his back throughout the comic).

I don't think that's a literal cube. It says he has schizophrenia, and as a few panels show, it's from HIS perspective. Instead of assuming it's the real companion cube and he's imagining the voice, I'd assume that it's just a hallucination - it would both explain how he "got another companion cube", why the companion cube is able to talk, why it's able to float, and why it doesn't utterly screw up his roll-dive when dealing with the turrets.

ardysqrrl

Oct 26, 2009
I don't think the cube is floating, several panels show that he's toting it with a knapsack. When he takes the antipsychotic medication, the hallucinated voice stops, yet the cube remains. He also physically uses it to boost himself up into the sleeping chamber. I guess we can find out for sure if portal 2 has a "sleeping" ratman... more likely though it's just something that's meant to be ambiguous, to give people something to argue about.

Thinking on it further, it's possibly not a matter of getting "another" companion cube; he may have refused to incinerate his and escaped into the walls between test chambers on that very map.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I'll post my "Ratmann gets the sad ending" theory here. Minor portal 2 spoilers, that have already been released, for you wussies.

Basically, It's already been announced that you'll see more of Rattman's murals; specifically showing your defeat of glados. I recall seeing a screenshot (i cant find it, sadly) that showed, in a ruined test chamber, the portal gun, and a MASSIVE one, all across one wall. My theory goes:

Rattmann survives the shot. Maybe the relaxation vault heals him; maybe he simply survives. The vault carries him and the cube back down into the first few test chambers. These are now ruined, of course. Rattmann wanders through the chambers, leaving his drawings along the way. He's now out of medication, so expect him to become more and more raving and church-guy-ish. These drawings in the first few chambers- i.e. the start of the game- will serve as exposition for Mrs E Culucket in Moose Springs, Pensylvania, the one person on earth who hasnt played Portal 1 yet.

Rattmann will be long dead by portal 2. A crazed man with a cube wont last long in the test chambers. Lack of food, or water, or exposure will get him. He'll fall, or commit suicide. Poor bugger wont last two months. I really hope this happens; i like him, but to gie him any other ending would be ...artistically wrong. He needs a sad ending, he's a tragic character.

I really hope we dont find anything of him. A face-to-face meeting would be unbelievably crass. Discovering remains less so but still... dissapointing.

ardysqrrl

Oct 26, 2009
In a way I sort of hope they make his fate ambiguous, keep the schrodinger's cat theme going. But your theory is likely.

yes I know it was referring to chell's chamber shut up

Last edited:

Numerous

Oct 14, 2009
By the way, Portal 2 Q:

When Valve releases a game digitally, do they normally release the digital copies simultaneously, or do they only release them at the time the physical copies for each region would be released?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
According to their blog, the game will be unlocked on the 19th at 7:00 AM PDT. So that sounds like it means everywhere.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
When will the preorders be delivered by do you think?

Feb 14, 2008
I'll post my "Ratmann gets the sad ending" theory here. Minor portal 2 spoilers, that have already been released, for you wussies.

Basically, It's already been announced that you'll see more of Rattman's murals; specifically showing your defeat of glados. I recall seeing a screenshot (i cant find it, sadly) that showed, in a ruined test chamber, the portal gun, and a MASSIVE one, all across one wall. My theory goes:

Rattmann survives the shot. Maybe the relaxation vault heals him; maybe he simply survives. The vault carries him and the cube back down into the first few test chambers. These are now ruined, of course. Rattmann wanders through the chambers, leaving his drawings along the way. He's now out of medication, so expect him to become more and more raving and church-guy-ish. These drawings in the first few chambers- i.e. the start of the game- will serve as exposition for Mrs E Culucket in Moose Springs, Pensylvania, the one person on earth who hasnt played Portal 1 yet.

Rattmann will be long dead by portal 2. A crazed man with a cube wont last long in the test chambers. Lack of food, or water, or exposure will get him. He'll fall, or commit suicide. Poor bugger wont last two months. I really hope this happens; i like him, but to gie him any other ending would be ...artistically wrong. He needs a sad ending, he's a tragic character.

I really hope we dont find anything of him. A face-to-face meeting would be unbelievably crass. Discovering remains less so but still... dissapointing.

Those same murals were in part 1 of the comic though.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Nope. Distinctly recall it being different.

EDIT: Woot: found them.
portal2.200.06.lg.jpg

Last edited: