pl_hoodoo [Final release]

Dec 25, 2007
*Imagines using the particle editor in the SDK to create a mini nuke-style explosion effect*

But wait! There is no particle editor in the SDK yet :(

Juice

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 17, 2008
In before Valve releases particle editor and someone creates a gigantic nuclear explosion from like GMOD or something.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think more research needs to be done into these particle systems, I've seen a lot of complaining that we don't have the editor but I bet we can extract some files, tweak them, make new graphics and have custom-ish effects.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Hey would you look at that, the last few posts are about a lack of partical editor..... looks like we spoke too soon :D

I'm shocked this made it to the second page already, there must be some decent custom maps being discussed a lot right now.

Well anyway, I'm going to stop jibbering and get my arse into gear and paste the link of the new teaser into the text box here....

plhoodoopretty0003sb1.jpg

There we are. Not much new work but I think you'll agree that I'm getting a lot better at this detailing thing (remember the bland walls in bloodstained?....)
DJ should also be pleased, one of the things he said about bloodstained lots was the lack of skybox. well whilst you can't see the skybox in this screenshot the nearest building is completely inaccessable, its a detail building in the real world rather than skybox.
I've been mentioning over the last few days that I might release it stage by stage, I'm not sure I will now, hopefully I can get a large portion of stage one done this weekend..../ponders.....perhaps I won't sleep tonight but map instead.

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
The details look sweet Youme, I just might cop... take inspiration from some of this for my map...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Feel free, after all I've been looking at goldrush over and over for inspiration

DasMatze

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2008
The same what I do. But I fail.

May I guess that you have the same "Mmh ... I don't know which prop I shall place here"-problem as I have? I just think that because there aren't much crates and stuff so far but I think that is already on your to-do-list.

Anyway it looks nice. I haven't played/tested it yet but I also heard of it in a german forum. And there aren't much threads about custom maps that they've found. So this can only be awesome.

I wanted to take a look at you cp_station map too, which I found in you FPS-Banana submissions. I never heard of that map before but I think it's a great map and I don't know why I haven't seen a server with that map.[/derail]

DasMatze

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
DJ should also be pleased, one of the things he said about bloodstained lots was the lack of skybox. well whilst you can't see the skybox in this screenshot the nearest building is completely inaccessable, its a detail building in the real world rather than skybox.

That screenshot is looking great man !. hopefully this isn't the one i missed out on yesterday =(

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah I think that screen is shaping up nicely. Deffinately need a skybox though, right now it looks like those buildings are the end of the world.

The one detail I noticed that I really like is how the ground rounds of towards the wood beam supports below it (can barely see the tops of them in that pic). That's the kind of detail easily missed in a screenshot that really looks good in game.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Thatnks, last night I was playing with the particle editor and I made a nice green drip effect for the underside of the cart. I've just got to work out how to get it into the BSP, not sure if the normal method will work, time will tell I guess.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
spend ages and ages and ages adding new brushes and changing the textures and adding props, after hours of studying the official maps that is.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I study and study and study the official maps and mine still look like poop compared to that. :(

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I study and study and study the official maps and mine still look like poop compared to that. :(

Oh, I forgot: practice and practice and practice and practice.

Edit: I've just noticed the spec cam that is tied to the cart is now inside whilst before it was outside... anyone got any ideas what might have caused this? I think I recall someone saying something about it somewhere...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
not quite as simple as that, i'ts not a camera.

Its some default thing, it did it up to hoodoo_a4 but ..ge_3_a5 doesn't, the only thing i can think that has changed is the cart model