pl_hoodoo [Final release]

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
Maybe it has to do with the origin point of the model as it is exported. The origin point is used to determine it`s center of rotation as well.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I wanted that final stage tested more so that I can detail the last little bit so snipergen can work on the explosion. Other then that little bit I'm working forwards through the map, I'm still on the area between capture points on stage 1.
I promise, the next public version will include something that is nicely detailed ;)

Corion

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2008
Here is my feedback for Hoodoo stage 3 from last Saturday/Sunday:

1. Make it 3 caps instead of 2. It's really long to push the cart between the start and the two existing caps.
  2. Use two different door locations for that shortcut gate.
    • During setup (and maybe until BLU captures the first point?) have a door on red's side be open, and a door where the current one is be one-way (openable from defender side).
    • After the capture of point 2 have the door on BLU's side be open, and the one near the defender side is be one-way (openable from attacker side).
    This would make it easier for people to know when they can go through the door and also if it's based on when points are captured you don't have to worry about their opening/closing seeming arbitrary. The only thing you might have to look out for is RED building a sentry there that would become active when the door on BLU's side opens up. (nobuild to fix?)
  3. Attackers need easier access to the upper middle room. I'd suggest putting a ramp on the other side of the bridge area (coming from attacker spawn) that starts on the ground near where the first cap currently is.
  4. The rock just outside BLU's spawn to the left should be moved far enough away from the wall that people could go by that way, or the wall there should be moved out to allow passage.
  5. The room with windows on the right side past the bridge (coming from attacker side) didn't really seem to get much use. I'd remove one or both of the windows so spies can cloak in there much easier and so a sentry could more effectively ambush passing attackers/defenders.

It was definitely fun. :0)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks corion, your input ingame was all great, I'll definatly be looking at adding a much more visual marker of that one way door and I've drafted a new system that will make it much much clearer if you can go though or not.
I'd just about picked up on the lack of use in that side building and hadn't quite decided what to do with it, I've got a few ideas to try.
I was also getting a little annoyed with having to crouch jump over the side of that rock, its a good ambush point for pyros so I might make the ground (will be displacement) higher on the attacking side than the defending side to keep that in.
I'm not sure I agree on the 3 cap points rather than 2, It works as a difficult 2 (bearing in mind it is the final stage and is suposed to be the hardest for attackers) but I think its too small and straight for a 3 pointer. Its a really close one but I think it's best left as 2.
Glad you found it fun, that's the main thing I'm going for :D

dredhorse

L1: Registered
Feb 5, 2008
Played it a little in the last days..

some things I still have to look at but some general points:

The final spawn is very near the final cp.. making it a must to spawncamp.. if that happens there is no chance to win for the defenders as the attackers have the healing bomb with them. This will also create a problem on fast spawn servers... not that I really care.

One of the final cps has 3 openenings, 2 directly on top of each other the lower one with a gate. That makes it very easy to defend at least that part, as snipers can take care of 2 entries at the same time, plus there are some good places for sentries which are very hard to get.

Also it is annoying to run out of spawn to run into a low wall or having steps where you have to jump. This can really make the difference for getting out alive or not.

Ofcourse somebody who knows the map will know that, but you also want to make it easy and straightforward for beginners.

Also having a little bit more forward spawn areas could perhaps make it harder for the defenders... on the other side I also saw the defenders rushed over one round.. don't know if that was because of stacked (people knowing the map or not and the normal stack) teams or because of the strategy.

One last thing: Try to balance sniper, pyro and spam (Demo and Soldier) a little bit more, scout and engineer have not really a big role in total... engineer on defense sure, or by building a teleporter to get to the bomb faster, and scout to harass the people, but a heavy for attack for example is quite useless.

Oh yeah... and the map has big promise...it already plays quite nice. Make sure you test it with a lot of different people (also new ones) to get a feeling and ask them for feedback.

oh, and I didn't read all the other replies :glare:

BTW: about the comment on fast spawn servers... just make sure YOU know on which server you want your map to be played, so 24 people or more / less, class limits etc.. and develop the map accordingly.. you can't make everybody happy.

Feb 14, 2008
You could do a first and put 4 CPs in one stage now ;)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Trust them to allow that AFTER I give up hope and settle on having 2 per stage :(

/shakes fist

Curse you valve! you win this time!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Looking a hell of a lot better then Bloodstained. Keep it up!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
golditsgoodqh0.jpg

:D Its good!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
After a whole load of seemingly unexplained crashes I manages to look at it ingame and it looks better ingame than in hammer :thumbup1: (The crashes were being caused due to a lack of brush entities when I was compiling....damn you visgroups! It took me ages to figure out that I'd all my brush ents hidden)
I'm nearing the end of the first stage, I recon I'll be done in the next few days, no new screens until then though :p
And for DJ and others who kept mentioning the lack of skybox stuff in bloodstained, you really will be satisfied this time around!!

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
not quite as simple as that, i'ts not a camera.

Its some default thing, it did it up to hoodoo_a4 but ..ge_3_a5 doesn't, the only thing i can think that has changed is the cart model

I have the same problem with the original cart model.

When looking through the decompiled goldrush way back, a vaguely remember something about the cart camera, but alas, I have tried looking through it again and can no longer find it.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
I found a solution, it appears the location of the camera it determined from the origin of the func_train, just move the origin to where you would like the camera.

As for the direction of the camera, I haven't tested it yet, so it's just a guess, but maybe the angle of the func_train?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I found a solution, it appears the location of the camera it determined from the origin of the func_train, just move the origin to where you would like the camera.

As for the direction of the camera, I haven't tested it yet, so it's just a guess, but maybe the angle of the func_train?

Brilliant! you're a genious, I'd never have thought of this as I always keep the origins in the middle of things without a good reason.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
Yes but doesn't the train moves around it origin?
So if you have the origin 2 feet away from the track the train will be 2?
So if you got the origin left from the track, the cart will be right from it, because the origin follows the path_track

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yes but doesn't the train moves around it origin?
So if you have the origin 2 feet away from the track the train will be 2?
So if you got the origin left from the track, the cart will be right from it, because the origin follows the path_track

'sperimenting now