Photic

Dec 25, 2007
This ledge looks like you should be able to stand on it, although it is actually clipped off (ditto red side):

This forward spawn that I'm facing felt really awkward. Coming out of it, the only natural way to go was the lower route through the door toward point 4, as taking the upper routes for non-explosive classes involves doing a 180, going up these stairs, then another 180 and up another set. If the forward spawn were came out onto the platform at the left of this pic, then both the upper and lower routes would be equally accessible.

While these health and ammo overlays seemed like a good idea before the match, they turned out to be really confusing during the match, particularly the health ones, as they actually made it harder to see whether the health pack (especially the small bottles) had respawned or not. The fact that the colours are the same as the healthpacks actually made it worse, as if I only glanced at it (as usually I watch enemies more when in battle), it looked like the spot was a healthpack, only to find that someone else had taken it first.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
During play, I noticed that the second point was nearly impossible to take back. Reducing the capture time would make it much more plausible to push back.

Respawn times were excruciating. At the last point, you couldn't spawn and get back around before the point had already been lost. Also on the topic of the last point, expanding the size of the capture zone is necessary. We lost the round after I tried circle strafing around what I believed to be the point.

Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm not sure what to do about that ledge. It would be a bit bad to allow demos/soldiers up there, as it's really hard for the team down below to notice he's there.
Moving the forward spawn that much closer will make it even easier for that team to keep the other from taking back the middle point, which was a pretty prominent issue when we tested it. I'll wait with that and see how future tests turn out!
As for the patches; I think I'm going to have a glow effect around them when the packs are there, which disappears as they are picked up.

Dec 25, 2007
Moving the forward spawn that much closer will make it even easier for that team to keep the other from taking back the middle point.
I wasn't suggesting moving it forward at all, just upward. Or changing the ramps at the middle point to improve the flow out of spawn.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
As for the patches; I think I'm going to have a glow effect around them when the packs are there, which disappears as they are picked up.

You could use something similar to the default patches and just cut out symbols (two lines for ammo and a cross for health) to portray which pickup, instead of making it too similar to the pickup as it is now.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Excuse me sir I'd like to know just where you get off being so kickass.

Visually incredibe, and it plays like a dream. We have another winner.

Jan 31, 2008
While these health and ammo overlays seemed like a good idea before the match, they turned out to be really confusing during the match, particularly the health ones, as they actually made it harder to see whether the health pack (especially the small bottles) had respawned or not. The fact that the colours are the same as the healthpacks actually made it worse, as if I only glanced at it (as usually I watch enemies more when in battle), it looked like the spot was a healthpack, only to find that someone else had taken it first.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4305144692_3f4c1d5c03.jpg

How about this?
Item-glow-effect.gif

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Maybe you can make the overlays grayscale instead. It'll probably make seeing the health/ammo pack easier.

Remix

L69: Deviant Member
Feb 27, 2008
I've always wanted to work some very dramatic lighting techniques on a point in a map. It's unfortunate that its very difficult to pull off with most of Valve's texture styles. Looks good so far though.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Jan 31, 2008
Yeah I guess that's true!
I'll keep them as they are for now, compiling a8.
Changes for a8:

- Made it easier for the defenders to push back after the enemy has captured the middle point. Attackers have two more respawnwave seconds.
- Added a few more arrows
- Reduced the refraction amount of the glass panels by 50%
- Made the capture zone of the final cap taller
- Added stairs to the little elevated platform on the defender's side at the final cap
- Added patches under all the pickups
- Made the second control point area brighter

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Hella fun.

Only complaint is that on cap 2, you can back into the sides. Either give it ramps or stairs or something.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
I've planned to do a playing session on our 12v12 server this week. Do you want some demos from the event ?

By the way, I agree with a BojumSnark, make your overlay less preeminent, people should only notice them as they look for a clue/reminder of were packs are situated. As a map becomes played regularly (hopefully ;) ) they'll know their positions anyway.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Here your go, Demos from 4 rounds (first one wasn't real 12v12 since people were downloading the map)

As basic impression the map definitively felt having a good potential. People like the decoration of your middle CP a lot. The reste of the map felt a bit too uniformely lighted, something you'd want to fix as detailing go on. As well as dealing with the hugeness feeling from the sheer height of your rooms. I don't know how to you plan to use your water "windows" in other places than the mid cp, but you definitevely have something here (like the illiminated edges)

Some players complained about the size of the map, something quite usual on our server as 5cp maps aren't very popular. The biggest issue was the total lack of signs. I didn't get lost very much but some players repeatedly complained about it.
My biggest concern would be a feeling of scattered fight that went on during the fight. It's likely to be aggravated by people not knowing the map, but I've never encountered some dense and epic action. Your middle point especially let people avoid fight a bit too easily.

I'm totally against choke spamfest, but maybe you should check this issue.