Photic

Jan 31, 2008
I like the contrast to the pipes though. Besides, I've got a black fade on the walls up there, so it doesn't look that unrealistic

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
First of all, the good. Cap 3 is interesting and fun to play on. The map itself was entertaining to play, and I think it can make a very good map with some changes.

Now to post some (decompiled) hammer screenshots of what I think should be done to the map. Take this with a pinch of salt, since you are certainly the more experienced mapmaker here.

photic1.jpg

No one used this passageway when playing, at all. This is a symptom of problems with the final cap, I think. While the second has issues, I still feel it plays well, but I can't really say the same for the final cap.

photic4.jpg

Once again, issues. This path to behind the cap point is useless for attack or defence. For defence it takes too long to get to the cap, for attack it leads past both the enemy spawn and the point itself, which most players would just choose to cap instead of run on by.

photic7.jpg

This was THE way for the attacking team to win. It is raised, the enemy cannot easily flank you, it overlooks the main defender route to the second point, it is a short distance from the second cap and it spits you out right next to the final cap. While this route exists or the final point stays unchanged, there is no point to other paths.

photic2.jpg

This is what I was talking about with the previous point. The attacking team has a balcony overlooking the defender's main path to the second cap point. Flanking is unlikely to occur, since the way up behind the attackers leads past the second cap point, which any self respecting teammate would be capping.

photic8.jpg

Putting a bridge here could make the route in photo 1 more popular and offer the defending team flanking options. I'm not sure what effects it would have on the attacking dynamic, though.

So that's the final cap covered. It's not great, but it could work. Unfortunately, the combination of the final and second caps accentuate their respective flaws. Cap 2 is much better, so here are a few ideas and pointers.

photic3.jpg

First of all realise that this bridge is where the attacking team comes from invariably. It is easily reached from the mid point, and has a path that ends above the cap. This is where the attacking team and their respawns will almost always come from. So, at the moment, the attackers have the height advantage, since it seemed to me that the defending side always came from the lower route.

It seems like 5cp maps usually have either a large gap of no man's land between the final point and the second: granary, yukon, well(sort of), or the second point is easily recaptureable/difficult for the attackers to defend while going for the final point (badlands). Photic is lacking something like this at the moment. I wouldn't really recommend changing the second cap that more (or rather, I have no ideas that wouldn't suck), but I think the final cap could be changed or replaced to give more satisfying gameflow.

photic10.jpg

Here's a possibility for the second cap. I wouldn't recommend it particularly, but maybe it'll give you some ideas. The example in this photo also makes it even harder for defenders to reach the point, and makes it a cakewalk for attackers. Ignore this one :mellow:

Excuse my rambling and horrible hammer pictures. Keep it up, and you'll have a wonderful map on your hands.

Jan 31, 2008
Thanks alot for the feedback!
I'll look into your suggestions tomorrow, as I should go to bed soon :)

Jan 31, 2008
Raising the point seems to have alot of issues. It's really hard to fit in stairs to it from the bottom. There isn't much space around it.
However, I did add that bridge between the two side paths to the last point, we'll see how it plays!
Alpha 11 coming up in a minute