Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
thisgonbgud.gif

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
just noticed the tags on this topic. hahaha! but i thought that only the topic creator is allowed to make tags for his own topic, after that whole mar thing a while back.

Mar 23, 2010

stop trolling flame man. hes gettin so mad right now. you can feel the anger in all his posts.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Seriously what is best about this is that it isn't flame who keeps this going...

Luckily I'm not admin.. Warning and lock would have already happened.

Its seriously sad you guys cant at like adults.

Back in the day we had a member named R3dRum.

guy was truly a dick...... Most people thought anyways. In my opinion he was someone who really attempted to help other people however his critique wasn't sugar coated so after a while he left the community.

IMO he was a very good mapper and honestly was attempted hard to help others he just was a bit brash about it. He pushed new mappers hard to create a better product.. He drove a few away, but he also really put many on a good path.

I don't know, Possibly its my age and how long I've been moderating/administering online communities *8years* But year after year it seems like the userbase is getting younger and younger which means more drama.

If someone said my map sucked I wouldn't cry foul, I would inquire as to why and if that user couldn't give me a good enough reason they i would shrug off the comments... not trash him to others, complain in chat or write in the forums about them.

A fire without and oxygen goes out. In no way to i say "omg!!1 ignore him/her!!1" But seriously If someone is trying to get a stir out or someone or act a fool it will be noticed by others and people will less and less care about them. Create a fire and its "Ohhh whats this guy all about, drama drama drama"

This is in no way towards Flame or R3d in anyway, but as a general attitude i see this community changing too.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I didn't think i'd regret turning down staff as much as i do right now, this thread needs to die. The sooner the better.

Last edited:

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
stop trolling flame man. hes gettin so mad right now. you can feel the anger in all his posts.

i thought that was his normal tone.

whatever, i'm done here, peace. time to go back to lurking and occasionally posting.

just wanted to say all that stuff about him, ever since i noticed he became part of the tf2maps.net community i just kinda noticed how he would always treat people like crap and start arguments all the time, and people would back him up just because he helped them out with unrelated things - thing is, it doesn't excuse his attitude at all. i never understood why people just turned a blind eye towards his attitude.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Luckily I'm not admin.. Warning and lock would have already happened.

Its seriously sad you guys cant at like adults.

Back in the day we had a member named R3dRum.

guy was truly a dick...... Most people thought anyways. In my opinion he was someone who really attempted to help other people however his critique wasn't sugar coated so after a while he left the community.

I quite liked R3dRum actually :p

And in all honesty I find nothing is to be gained by locking the thread, might as well let everyone get it out of their systems...

Nov 14, 2009
I have just come back from vacation to see this combination of monstrous threads. I will not claim to have read them all, just about 6 pages combined of them. I would, however, like to make a point:

Mapping is hard. There is no way you are going to get it your first or second try, unless you are incredibly gifted. Plenty of people post on this site with their first maps, looking for criticisms. Most people respond with the usual 'no hl2 textures, major sightlines, make better screenshots' shtick. They go back, and return with a boring map. People tell them to add some detail, and fix gameplay issues. They go through this process multiple times until the map is an OK map. Nothing special, but respectable.

However, if your first comment on your map is "lol ur map sucks. start a new one", then this entire iterative process of improvement never occurs. The person never learns if they are discouraged (rightly or no as djive points out) during an early step. This is especially important at this point in time when tf2m has increased visibility on SPUF and lots of awful maps are coming in.

Don't even get me started on flame trashing the contest, but let me summarize it by saying it looks unprofessional to have a server admin disagreeing with the rest of the site.

gg flame, I hope to play with you some time, and have you test my maps, and give me some good feedback. Its just that you are unable to tone it down to the junior members who arent used to your abrasive feedback.

l8r

Status
Not open for further replies.