Panic

PLR Panic b2

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Is this the same lighting that is in your pre-made pack?

Yes, but I have adjusted the color and strenght on the lights to match the ambiance.
That pack was made to provide a way to put in fancy lighting that you can tweak easily.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
So... here is the red side of stage 1

Team_Fortress_2-2009.06.09-07.20.05.jpg

Team_Fortress_2-2009.06.09-07.19.41.jpg

Well, I'll get started on mirroring and installing entities then.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Alpha1 released!
Features stage 1 and 2.

Slightly rushed to get it into gameday, but I believe there is no major errors in it.
I expect this (a1) to play like shit, but I hope to improve it with each update from now on!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Love it. I feel sorry for your VRAD though. Surely it must take forever to calculate the light bounces? :p

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Love it. I feel sorry for your VRAD though. Surely it must take forever to calculate the light bounces? :p

And it will only get worse!

I updated to a1a since I forgot to include health and ammo pickups in the first release. How embarrassing... :(

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Had a bit of a playtest on it today, played pretty well with 8-12 people.

The downhill "rollercoaster"bit was loved by all, IMO on an extra stage if you are to make one, you should make the opposite where the teams must push the payload up and if they stop pushing at all it rolls back down, killing all who is behind it :p

Also some of the spawn gates travel through the roof, and I cant remeber which section, but the cart travels through a building and there is nto enough room to stand next to it .

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
This'll definitely look nice once you've detailed it but I would recommend slightly brightening up the lighting since once you detail the map, it'll be hard to see and it wouldn't be nice to see that hard work gone to waste :)

FLOOR_MASTER

L3: Member
Mar 10, 2008
We played this briefly on 2f2f with 16v16. The map's in great shape now, but it's too early to tell what balance issues exist given we've only played one round. I'm confident the map will turn out well and I'd like to offer more playtests - send me a PM with a link to your Steam Community page if you'd like to arrange something.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Great feeback guys, thanks for playing.
I also have a few questions that I would like to ask.

SS-2009.06.11-16.57.18.jpg

A few people suggested I make this hill in the beginning of stage 1 a rollback zone. Now, It may be a cool idea but I'm not too sure about how it would affect gameplay, it's very early in the track and both teams meet at the top, the ones who get pushed down are going to get a huge disadvantage and maybe not even a chance to catch up in the race. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to rollback there and the winners of the first battle should get a reward for it. So question is: should I add rollback here, or keep it like a normal hill?

SS-2009.06.11-17.01.05.png

Pretty much the same thing but in reverse, some people wanted a rollFORWARD section here, there are no real problems here except for the UI, there is no way (that I know of) to make arrows pointing forwards, and the cart will roll by itself and cant be blocked/pushed by players once it's in motion. Is it still a good idea?

SS-2009.06.11-17.01.33.png

Simple question: Is the advantage of winning too small in the second stage?

Hope that wasn't too much! But since I already have a/this thread, I might aswell make use of it :)

Feb 18, 2009
I haven't played this yet (sry) but I will answer the questions as best as I can.

1st, I'd say yes, but it would need testing with people oppinions.
2nd, I'd test it with out, but while it's being tested, try and get it so that say 2/3 reds can stop it, but not push it back (only an example, but I quite like it)
3rd I should think it's fine. Again would need testing (hehe, I like testing :p) but 3rd stage should have a larger advantage if 2 victories.

hope some of that helps.

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
Ehh, I don't think having rollback on a slope that close to the beginning is such a good idea. What if the team who is already losing (didn't win the last round and doesn't have the start advantage) gets stuck in the position where the other team locks them down and they can't get their cart up the very first hill. I think that would cause a lot of negative player experiences if it happened one too many times.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Thanks for the comments!
I will keep the 2 hills normal (just like they are now) with no rolling in either direction.
Rollback is in plr to prevent suicide run capping, and the rollforward thing doesn't add anything except speeding up the map.
The starting positions for stage 2 are fine I guess, until I get more data.

Another thing I've been wondering about is side passages at stage1 (the one with the big starting slopes), I had a few of them in place but deleted them just before release. Right now you have to pass through the middle crossing to get to the other side of the map. Should I add some sideroutes back in? It's like a bottleneck, but a very wide one :p I imagine trying to squeeze 16 players through in both directions will be quite messy. But if it plays well like it is, I see no reason to change it.

The map will be played at gameday in a few hours, If you could keep that (and the things in my previous post) in mind when playing and getting back with comments on it I would be grateful. I will of course observe for myself too.

I'm aware stage 2 is a little dark in places, especially around the endcaps.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I've just downloaded it and had a little run around. Good stuff. :)

The layout is excellent as far as I could tell. ;) You could brighten the map up by simply replacing all the grey measurewall textures on the floor with reflective textures instead.

The only problem I discovered straight away is the original position of the cart being non-obvious.

298000plrpanica1a0000.jpg

In this poor doodle I've added a series of small lights (an env_sprite would do the trick) alongside the track that will attract the player's attention as they leave the spawn.