Opinions requested: 72-hour contest again?

Omnomnick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 16, 2009
I enjoyed last year's contest, it was a pretty well conceived idea and I think I'm willing to take part in another one. As for a time, anytime after next Friday (24th June) is good for me.

And at the minute I have nothing to contribute, apart from Portal....

So yeah, nothing to contribute. Sorry but I'm saving up for a new computer in August so I can't really afford to spend money on things that aren't really essential.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I propose starting the contest on Monday 27th June and ending it on Thursday 30th June. Any sensible objections?

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I propose starting the contest on Monday 27th June and ending it on Thursday 30th June. Any sensible objections?

I'm still in school (hence I wont be able to participate). I finish on the 30th, so the weekend of that or the week after would be better

Sep 12, 2008
i don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to detail. just let people map for 72 hours...

Also: The dates you suggested are just fine for me!! :D

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Have you decided on a ruleset yet ?
Detail or no detail ?

Details are allowed but strongly discouraged. Not that I can do much to prevent people from voting based on looks, but it's no fun in restriction, is there?

About what you said, Midget: That's an understandable concern, and while I don't know of many others around here who have school that late, I'm hardly keeping track of everyone. If this is indeed the case with several other people, it might be worth moving the contest a little bit.

I'll be going away on the 1st and 2nd of July (and I really should be there to oversee the contest, at any rate), but I'll get back pretty early on the 2nd, so that is a possible start date.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Well, if it has to be then it has to be then, I do suggest weekends will be better for most people anyway no matter what though. I might participate if it does go ahead on the planned date but I won't be able to do what I plan.

Nov 14, 2009
I haven't played or mapped in ages, but schools out, so I can play and map again! I would love to participate from the 27th to 30th.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
If it's scheduled for any time, I'd recommend steering clear of any contest starting on the second of July. In case you were unaware, shit happens on the fourth, and it won't stop me from entering. I'm sure you're aware of what happens when I map while drunk.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
If we do a contest like this where the intention is to make a map in a really short time that plays well, how does testing work? It seems like if there are a good number of entries some people won't be able to have their maps tested when they need it. Would there be playtesting at all?

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Oh there will be testing. I'm pretty sure everything's allowed as long as you can keep to the time limit, just remember that you're going to need to organize the tests.

Feb 17, 2009
Wouldn't it be a lot nicer to start with the 1st of July? Starting Friday and then for the whole weekend?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
You cannot test during the 72 hours. It's a "Who can make the best map without testing" kind of contest. We'll play them all after the 72 contest ends and pick our winners.

I don't get why everyone wants those restrictions? It's just a: "MAKE A MAP AS FAST AS YOUR CAN! HERE, HAVE 72 HOURS!".. Not a: "You have to make a map and it shouldn't be detailed and it cannot be tested because it cannot be too good. Oh and you have a limit of 72 hours."-contest.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I don't understand the restrictions either. The 72 limit is tough enough as it is - as long as the voting criteria are clear (game-play focus vs overall map 'completeness' or whatever) then why not just let people do what they want within the allotted time period?

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I wouldn't mind removing these restrictions either.
But a lot of people will have a map done after 48 hours (I think), they will then want to do an impromptu and this will probably result in having a few guys playtested their maps and having a few guys who are angry because people got bored after playing a few maps and didn't want to play theirs. :/