Opinions requested: 72-hour contest again?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by luxatile, May 22, 2011.

1. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Personally, I really enjoyed last year's contest in which we had to make a playable map in 72 hours. I haven't seen Tera around a lot lately, so I'm contemplating the idea of organizing this contest myself. However, there was a lot of negativity surrounding last year's contest, especially because it was in early June and a lot of people were still working hard on their exams.

Therefore, I find it very important to make sure everything goes better for everybody this year. I want to gather the community's opinion on such a contest before I start something, so if you'd answer some of my questions (or if you have anything else to say), it would be a great help.

1. First and foremost, do you like the idea of this contest? Anything that should be changed in your opinion (e.g. duration)?

2. What's a good time? I'm concerned about letting as many people as possible partake in the contest, so I'm thinking late June or early July will work out best for most people. Going on a vacation isn't something that should affect the date, but if your reasons related to something like school, I want to hear it because it'll probably also affect many others.

3. This isn't that important, but would you be willing to contribute to a larger prize? I'll supply small prizes myself (Steam games, I guess), but I have my limits.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    I love the idea of this contest. Preferably later July seems like the time when everyone will be out of school (I don't know about other people though), but i'd definitely be up for it :D

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Anytime, anyplace. LETS DO THIS!!!!! RRRRRAAAAA FEEL THE MAPPING MUTHAFUCKA!

Anyways, that's my opinion.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I'd be interested in doing this. I'm free most weekends now a days. til mid august. When a final date is set I may be able to contribute to a prize, but I don't know how much spare change I'll have (living on my own, no job, rent, etc).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    1. Yes, do want.
    2. Anytime's as good as any other.
    3. I don't know... I suppose we could gather in-game items as an entry fee (like 1 reclaimed/refined or equivalent) for those who like that and share them as a prize for the winner(s). The good thing is everyone can afford that and it's easy to collect (does everyone have access to paypal ?). The bad thing is, someone's bound to be on a crusade against trading/items.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I wouldn't mind doing this, I want to get back into mapping but I feel like spending a long time on a map would be wasteful in a way too because of how much stuff I want to get done this summer

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd surely participate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Angry_Ed

Angry_Ed L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I find the concept pretty intriguing so I'm interested.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I personally wouldn't mind a 72 hour detailing contest in which we are give a premade room and you can detail it however you want without changing the layout alot.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  10. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Mite be cool.

Godslayer's idea sounds good and would be pretty fun to do (the last detailing contest we had was awesome), like coming up with new combinations of themes with existing content.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    But thats not a mapping contest, thats detailing D: ...

I know interlopers mapping contests sometimes consist of someone making an asset or something for a map (I.E a bridge, or a tower or something) and the people had to build around that and feature it in their map. That would be cool

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  12. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    God's idea and Frozen's idea are ideas for minicontests. Go ahead and make a minicontest for that, guys. Knock yourself out.

72-Hour Contest is a mapping contest focused on gameplay. Make a map in 3 days, whoever makes the best map, voted by players, wins. I feel we should host it starting on June 4th, but for some reason people have exams when I don't know anybody with exams on June 4th. Keep everything but the date, if you must, the same. I didn't see any problems with it. If you feel like it, you could make it be a rating system instead of a simple "Which is best" vote when the time comes, but I didn't see any problems with the contest last time.

And Muffin, you stole my idea. I'm unhappy :/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Mine wasn't a minicontest. its a "here is a bridge or a piece of architecture, and all you have to do is include it in the map you make" ... it would be just like doing a mapping contest for layout.

14. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    The day is bad because the testing on the contest currently going on intersects that; I suggest we simply do it right after.

15. ANova

ANova L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes please i want something to do!

16. Fredrik

Fredrik L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  17. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Little, are you telling me a 72-hour mapping contest isn't a minicontest?

18. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    He means it would be the equivalent of an official mini contest such as the detail contests we run between annual/bi-annual major contests.

"Here's 2048x2048 unit space in hammer, no height limitations, detail it". Except with a twist, there's something in it you have to keep/implement.

I like that idea, but it is like our official mini contests, like detail a spawn room, or detail a CP point and its local area.

A 72 hour community contest should be more along the lines of go mad with your own ideas and the one liked the most wins a consilation prize of ego pills.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  19. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    If I'm hosting this contest, I'm not going to change the entire premise of it. You guys' other ideas about what we could do in those 72 hours are very good, but they're entirely different types of contests. There's nothing wrong with using those ideas in a separate contest, but the basis of this one remains; to make a map in a short time.

But people do. Everyone has different school systems and many of them aren't done that early.

Which day are you talking about?

20. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    Let's do it!