No Crits, No Respawn Time

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Reminds me of back in the day when teleporters were introduced to TFC.

Last night's TF2 Update Including:
*Fixed critical modifier for explosive weapons (rockets, pipe bombs) increasing critical chance more than intended.

I guess that solves that debate.

There are servers that cater for all prefered styles of TF play. Find one that suits yours i suppose. Be it FF on, Critical Hits or Respawn Times removed, or even 0 gravity if for what ever reason it was desired. If Valve cracked down and said no server plug-ins or mods, people would probably just find another game. I agree with Apex_.

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
Do not even TRY to bring that "tf is a mod itself" stuff into it. People drastically sub-modding a game is a major peeve of mine.

And people saying "that's how the game is meant to be played, don't change it" is one of mine. I'm a modder by nature, I can't play a game without changing something. Stock Team Fortress 2 was dead to me before the beta ended, hence why I run my own server within the Custom list and have numerous mods added to it. I don't expect others to play the game like I do, but those who want to are welcome to join up.

But things like NeoTF, whatever the one for TF2 is called, or changing things that are inherently linked to the flow and structure of gameplay while still residing within the realm of the original game only serve to fracture the community among different groups of server settings.

No matter how you look at it, people are going to change the game somehow, even if they can't alter the game's code. There are plenty of maps that modify how the game itself works, just look at sniper maps, duel maps, surf maps, those hastily assembled wannabe push maps, etc. Even if you prevented players from modding the game code, some crafty group will figure out some way to break the norm.

I think Valve's custom tab is a good way to keep both happy. Modders can do what they like and have their list, while people who want the original game have theirs, too.

Who am I to say you are playing wrong? I wouldn't exactly say this is a wrong or right issue. But all the same, if you say that to me, I say to you... who are you to say your preferred mod to the game is better than valve's structure they worked on for so long?

You'd be surprised how many people make it a wrong or right issue. As I said before I've had to put up with a very extreme level of the mindset you yourself are presenting here. While you post a well written rebuttal, most players I've had to deal with simply cuss me out, make demands and insult my server and people that play on the server. It may not be right or wrong at all, but in the minds of many players it seems anything they don't agree with is wrong, and they're right.

I say my preferred mod to the game is better because I spent the money to purchase said game and was given the tools and ability to change it. If the game was locked down as you suggested I'd have moved on to a game in which I had more freedom, and a host of players who like what mods bring to the game would have too. We all have our perfect vision of the game, and if you want to play just the base game with no mods I fully support your right to do so. In turn I only ask you at least allow me to play as I see fit as well.

</rant> yes that was very angry and ranty, but as I said it's a huge peeve of mine

That's fine, I feel rather strongly about these issues myself. I'm glad that you at least gave the benefit of a well written reply, regardless of being a bit harsh in tone.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
There were instant spawn and no crit servers from almost day 1 of tf2. All valve have done is released a simple option to allow everyone to do it instead of 3rd party.