New Interview With Robin Walker

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Robin Walker said:
The reason we shipped it [the delete button] in the last update, even though there was no real reason at all to use it, was to get some real world testing. So thanks to the 270 people who went ahead and deleted items! In addition, it gave our support team some warmup practice in handling the inevitable customer issues resulting from this kind of system.
Valve has some of the most badass videogame-testing methods in the entire industry. :D

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Oh.. Hats... and VIDEOS! Who cares. I wish valve would spend there time fixing the classes and the their previous updates instead of releasing this cosmetic crap that serves no purpose except appeasing the mass pubbers.

Will hats make playing the game more fun for me? No. I care about the gameplay, not if my heavy is bald or has a head of hair.

And while the videos are funny, they take Valve ages to make for just a few laughs. After the first few laughs, it's worthless. I'd rather see them spend that time on upgrading their engine, patching and working on TF2 and Hammer, or maybe working on Half Life 2 episode 3.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Maybe it's because I have Scottish and Norwegian ancestry, but I think giving the Demoman a "fro" is NOT funny. :(

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I can't wait until I get my new engineer Cat-in-the-Hat style headgear, so I can prevent snipers from sniping anyone walking behind me.

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
yep...the general negativity this group has towards...well...everything new is kinda irritating
i personally like the idea of tf2 being a sandbox for new ideas, it opens the door for epic things, and really fail things until the community makes them fix it...
Thats exactly what I hate about these kinds of updates. What I bought way back in October 07 is not what tf2 is currently. Them using tf2 as their own experimental sandbox for stupid ideas is what gets me.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Thats exactly what I hate about these kinds of updates. What I bought way back in October 07 is not what tf2 is currently. Them using tf2 as their own experimental sandbox for stupid ideas is what gets me.

its a shame you hate improvements :p
since I bought it, tf2 has become progressively more fun, the complete opposite of what you would expect from most games

and as I said earlier...I love the idea that tf2 is their sandbox, the odds of improving the game are far higher then the odd of them completely screwing it over, and if they keep using it as a sandbox they will keep supporting the game for a long time...

[O]

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
i love valve's whole approach to having a dynamic game. i like that it changes and evolves. it increases the life-expectancy of the game at no cost. its both an excellent business model AND gameplay model. lesser games would have been way unbalanced after all these updates, but the biggest accusation you can lay on tf2 updates is at most a mild imbalance [depending on who you talk to].

hats off [no pun intended] to valve.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I'm still as neutral as ever. By which I mean I'm going to ragequit TF2 forever if they screw up and add a lot of useless crap (which is, at the moment, no longer impossible), or if everything turns out awesome, I will be very happy indeed - but I'm not going to moan or celebrate yet.

What I hate the most about the TF2 community in general is its tendency to moan and whine about absolutely everything as soon as Valve touches their game.

Just STFU, wait and see, THEN respond. No need to get all upset yet.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
I'm still as neutral as ever. By which I mean I'm going to ragequit TF2 forever if they screw up and add a lot of useless crap (which is, at the moment, no longer impossible), or if everything turns out awesome, I will be very happy indeed - but I'm not going to moan or celebrate yet.

What I hate the most about the TF2 community in general is its tendency to moan and whine about absolutely everything as soon as Valve touches their game.

Just STFU, wait and see, THEN respond. No need to get all upset yet.

exactly, wait for the release, then bitch and whine/ praise valve for being gods, either way, its what they want ;)

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009

bittman

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2008
Wait so this means we just get the weapons straight away? Aww, I liked farming... as much as everyone hates people who do it, it's actually fun with friends taking turns getting achievements.

Actually there still could be another method, just not tied in with achievements.

From Interview: "Our goal is to ensure that they all get to have some fun finding items and making some choices about which ones fit their playing style. "

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
its a shame you hate improvements :p
since I bought it, tf2 has become progressively more fun, the complete opposite of what you would expect from most games

and as I said earlier...I love the idea that tf2 is their sandbox, the odds of improving the game are far higher then the odd of them completely screwing it over, and if they keep using it as a sandbox they will keep supporting the game for a long time...

I have to agree here. Recently my regular servers have been losing connection to steam and so the loadouts fail. Playing TF2 without the updates was painful. As far as switching tactics was concerned i just went engi before getting bored and leaving.

Which probably sounds odd coming from someone who plays a class that hasn't been updated yet.

Generally people don't like change as it messes with their immediate KD ratio whilst they have to get comfortable adapting to the newer tactics available to players. Tactics provided to make a more fluid gameplay, not ensure that you can exploit your classes single strength excessively.

When all the classes are fully updated it'll be interesting to see where the game stands. Even though i think i actually had better alt weapon idea's for the sniper than what have thus far been provided from steam there will be a whole lot more to the game. I bet you'll hear a lot more people whining about failed loadouts at this point than how supposedly retarded the updates are.

bittman said:
Actually there still could be another method, just not tied in with achievements.

They said that weapons might also be provided as random drops from kills.