New blog post - You better hold on to your head, mate.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Hey guys, lay of Mar, he's only giving his opinion.

Given that I actually agree with some of his stated positions, I would echo this sentiment if they were actually his opinions. He's only ever been able to muster well-reasoned arguments when copy/pasting from other people, or linking other websites. This leads me to believe that none of this is actually his opinion, but rather the opinions of people in the "comp scene" that for some reason he wants to be accepted by.

I think that for Mar's sake, we need to continue to challenge his positions until he is forced to reason them out for himself, rather than let them be dictated by others.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Mar.

You're asking Valve to test for every style in every nook and cranny in Team Fortress 2's community. And that, is too much to ask for.

Be thankful Valve does these things for free. Valve is the only company I know that follows the whole "Ask not what your community does for you, ask what you can do for your community" way of running a company.

Your argument about the Blutsauger seems like you are being killed by people who can use it better than you. It does offer a different form of Gameplay. The Blutsauger offers the addition "Offense" form of gameplay for the Medic, rather than the "Run away and shoot as your Backup" style that the Syringe Gun offers. My most kills as Medic, is 203. A Full 32-Player server filled with mostly friends. Casual players. Fun.

The Heavy does not rely on a Medic to survive. If you play the Heavy in new ways, you will survive. I play with all unlocks on the Heavy, and have a significant amount of points from just playing. My most kills as Heavy is 73. Same server that my most Medic kill count was achieved.

I don't play competitively. At all. I sometimes play full rotations of Badwater and leave with no more than 4 points as a Scout. It's because I get joy out of simply running around, batting a ball at some chucklehead's skull. My most kills as Scout... is 5.

Big differences. From playing casually, laid back. Non-competitive. Don't believe my Stats? http://steamcommunity.com/id/thevoidskull/stats/TF2

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Most people have already tore apart most of this...but theres a few things I need to address...

Now note that I'm simply pointing out from my comp player perspective, and chances are if you don't understand me right now, you don't get the comp scene, and I you can't see it from my point, please try not to argue.
Everything I am posting is from the point of my non-competitive perspective, and chances are if you disagree with me you don't get the scene the majority of players play at, so please try not to argue...

...honestly? Im astounded anyone would make sure a stupid comment

Why don't want to make the game boring, we simply want it to be as much about skill and as little as a random dice roll as possible. We want our practice to pay off. Also, unfortantely Valve is ignoring the stuff that needs to be fixed and buffed, which is the only flaw in the system that your propose. (which I like.)
Why are you unable to accept that there are people (majority) who like some randomness in their games?

Sandwich is worthless compared to the shotgun. Also a heavy needs a medic to be effective in this game. The sandwich did nothing to change that. You need to stop to heal, and a still character in any game is dead meat.

What they should have done is given him an smg (ganster tommy gun, barrel cylinder style). This way the heavy would have to choose either range with mediocre damage, or high close range dps, but no range.
I use the sandwich for one sole reason, i never have a medic on me, its a side effect of rarely playing the class. If you can get a medic, or at least get heals frequently, then yes, the shotty is much better. Explain to me how giving the heavy an smg does anything to weaken his dependence on medics? I seem to recall the goal of these new weapons was to give more playstyle variety. And honestly, a long range heavy weapon would without a doubt be better then the shotgun, thus creating a new choice where one is clearly better.

If you play against scouts that can aim it, you will constantly be stunned, and it only takes 2 rockets to kill a stunned guy. Comp players don't play with crits. Snipers are weak close up, scouts aren't. scouts should not be intruding on the snipers role.
This is a segment of your arguments that irritates me, don't mix examples of comp and non comp. I seem to recall that cevo banned the sandman, so...if your comp games render crits non existent, then guess what, the sandman is also non existent, and how can you be hit by something non existent? If you say sandman exists in non comp play then so do crits, and they do far more damage then a stun.

If valve released a flying sentry gun that did aimbot headshots would you say deal with it?
Look...I don't care how many time you post/ dream about this...but it is not going to happen, so yes deal with it

The blut is extremely powerful. It has the damage of the old gun with the healing power. You can easily kill a charging pyro with it, and if your careful, a scout. This should never happen to the ultimate support class. The medic heals, not fights, Valve stated that in their dev commentary. The blut should only heal 2 health max, and do 1 damage per needle. This way you must decide between healing or DPS.

The blut does what its designed to do, protects the medic as they retreat, and does it well...the problem is that the same functionality can be used as an offensive weapon, I happen to like that, you don't, so lets just leave it at that.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
The funny thing is is that I'm the medic that kills the scouts and pyros when before the update I couldn't do shit. That's why I say it's OP. It made the medic so more offensively capable it's not even funny.

@void: It's funny that you have 203 medic kills, but only 5 scout kills, 6 demo, and 9 spy,

@ smitz: great minds think alike.

@all of you: You guys don't get it, and I'm outnumbered on this site 1 : everyone else so I think I'm going to drop it unless I can get a few more comp guys to back me up here.

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
The part that bothers me the most is that Mar is arguing from the competitive player's standpoint, and I'd rather argue with someone from competitive play that can actually make valid points/arguments....as in without exaggeration or anecdotes.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I just can't believe we keep arguing about this.

Mar insists that Valve attune the game to the way a small percentage of players like it.
Somebody else says competitive play isn't fun just because they don't enjoy it, when CLEARLY some people do enjoy it.
Mar goes on and on about how good he is and how bad public players are.
Bizarre hypothetical updates are invented as if Valve would EVER make a flying sentry.
Pure matters of opinion (like how fun random crits are) are discussed as fact.
Another topic gets ruined.

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
I just can't believe we keep arguing about this.

Mar insists that Valve attune the game to the way a small percentage of players like it.
Somebody else says competitive play isn't fun just because they don't enjoy it, when CLEARLY some people do enjoy it.
Mar goes on and on about how good he is and how bad public players are.
Bizarre hypothetical updates are invented as if Valve would EVER make a flying sentry.
Pure matters of opinion (like how fun random crits are) are discussed as fact.
Another topic gets ruined.

Wait untill some comp clan comes up with the crazy idea to give tiers of quality to each class. Then you'll have a mess.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
Some people like Comp play, and they play it for fun. But that doesnt mean pubbing isnt what is done most and isnt fun to others either. Valve would most likely listen to the pubbers because they are the main cash flow. Valve is a company, and does need money too. I hate Scout Update because of how to use one weapon well you'd need another (to double jump you NEED the force a nature, but you cant kill someone who is stunned with the FAN as easily either, which kinda makes it useless IMO. I just like the push). But this is the Sniper update, not any other update, so please lets discuss it.

Scoped Spy Knife is the obvious choice for unlocks. With a Face stab mode.