Need ideas for new map

Jul 6, 2015
I don't think its confusing if its not a complicated gimmick. Blu being defenders and red being attackers i don't think is confusing in the context of police vs criminals
Yes but tf2 is hard coded to have red team defend. The colors just represent A/D. Red is always defending objectibes and its a useless gimmick.

JMaxchill

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 21, 2015
It's perfectly possible for Blu to defend and Red to attack, but why would you do it? What does it add to gameplay? Before putting a gimmick in, ask yourself why you're using it. If there isn't a good reason, stick to the script.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Just something to think about:

Team roles in TF2 follow a standard. Before you switch roles in a map just for the sake of being interesting or different, you have to consider what it would mean to the average player. People join Red with the expectation that they will be defending, and Blu when they want to attack. They might be subconsciously drawn to Red buildings when determining the right way to progress through the map. Red players may expect to be able to leave spawn during the setup phase. Is it really worth going against an established standard for lore/presentation purposes when all it would accomplish is confusing players for a couple of rounds?

TheAppleJhon

L2: Junior Member
Oct 11, 2015
It's perfectly possible for Blu to defend and Red to attack, but why would you do it? What does it add to gameplay? Before putting a gimmick in, ask yourself why you're using it. If there isn't a good reason, stick to the script.

Team roles in TF2 follow a standard. Before you switch roles in a map just for the sake of being interesting or different, you have to consider what it would mean to the average player. People join Red with the expectation that they will be defending, and Blu when they want to attack. They might be subconsciously drawn to Red buildings when determining the right way to progress through the map. Red players may expect to be able to leave spawn during the setup phase. Is it really worth going against an established standard for lore/presentation purposes when all it would accomplish is confusing players for a couple of rounds?

but it has a point! It's not because red and blue changing is that confusing. You make it sound like players are mindless drones! The only things players are going to do when playing tf2 is looking down on the gamemode hud, see what they have to do, based on the control points and shoot the other colored team...
This is not very confusing! Plus! If blue is the police and Red is a streetgang, then it's not like it's following the lore anyway...
I can see if some new players may be a bit confused, but they will get it pretty fast!
It was just an idear anyway, but i think that if you want the normal team relations, you can just make it gangs fighting over territory. For that i would make it 5CP.
Thanks for the good discussion though...

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's a cool idea. It was one of my first ideas when I got into making maps, back in early 2008. Unfortunately I couldn't make it work, and neither could any of the other hundreds of people with the idea that came before and after me.

In fact there was a prison break map where BLU defended and it was incredibly confusing to people EVERY TIME we played it until the author switched it.

TheAppleJhon

L2: Junior Member
Oct 11, 2015
It's a cool idea. It was one of my first ideas when I got into making maps, back in early 2008. Unfortunately I couldn't make it work, and neither could any of the other hundreds of people with the idea that came before and after me.

In fact there was a prison break map where BLU defended and it was incredibly confusing to people EVERY TIME we played it until the author switched it.
Hmmm... Can you get into details, im interested in knowing what happened

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
What do you think?

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Have a map take place on a Spaceship (Like something from Dead Space or System Shock 2).

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

Team roles in TF2 follow a standard. Before you switch roles in a map just for the sake of being interesting or different, you have to consider what it would mean to the average player. People join Red with the expectation that they will be defending, and Blu when they want to attack.
This. When I join a server, if I'm not familiar with the map, I tend to pick defensive classes when I'm on RED even if the map turns out to be a symmetrical mode.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Are we suggesting maps ades should be doing, or just tossing out the ideas we think are cool but are too lazy to do ourselves?

:chord: