Need a good / decent mapmaker!

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
1) Upload /all/ the maps
2) Get excited to check out the VIP forum then realise that it's been dead for 3 years anyway
3) Admire how ugly the green name is compared to the orange or pink
4) Run an imp and feel all important
5) Carry on as normal
i like green the best :(

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
i like green the best :(

nah, orange is the best with a cool color and cool stars
I liked that one bug we had where VIP and site staff appeared at the same time for some staff members. It was a nice contrast of colors.

i liked being the first afflicted. it was good while it lasted

snorrow

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2014
as much as i like that this thread has turned into "Whats The Best Name Color?" poll, can anyone help me with the props problem? i dont have anything of what i used to have...
im at the moment detailing it a bit and improving layout, but if someone could help me to get into a play-able state, it'd be great :3

Mar 23, 2013
as much as i like that this thread has turned into "Whats The Best Name Color?" poll, can anyone help me with the props problem? i dont have anything of what i used to have...
im at the moment detailing it a bit and improving layout, but if someone could help me to get into a play-able state, it'd be great :3

In the model browser, check that you didn't accidently selected another folder.
Like if you filter the models by searching for "tree" but you accidently have the folder "prop_spytec" selected, then it will only list the tree models from prop_spytec... which are none. So click on top on "MDL files"
06e9748265.png

snorrow

Aug 6, 2014
In the model browser, check that you didn't accidently selected another folder.
Like if you filter the models by searching for "tree" but you accidently have the folder "prop_spytec" selected, then it will only list the tree models from prop_spytec... which are none. So click on top on "MDL files"
06e9748265.png
http://puu.sh/aIjxK/620a3ed409.png
as you can see MDL files is already clicked, and it only finds 114 props for tf O,o
edit: im a retard gg
edit2: i cant delete the wood from the filter for some reason?
edit3: im a retard.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2013
http://puu.sh/aIjxK/620a3ed409.png
as you can see MDL files is already clicked, and it only finds 114 props for tf O,o
edit: im a retard gg
edit2: i cant delete the wood from the filter for some reason?
edit3: im a retard.

so did you get rid of your wood? (hue)
if you open the model browser shortly after closing it, it sometimes kinda freezes and you have to close and open it again. Pretty annoying I know :I

Doktor Richter

L3: Member
Feb 13, 2014
the map is not even nearly detailed and the file size is already 22 mb? is this normal?
also if someone wants to take a look around and give tips or help out: http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/18576500/file.html thats the .BSP file
http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/18576500/file.html thats the .BSP + VMF and all that crap

Wow, you're learning fast. Seems like you've already got a good handle on brushes, props, clips, textures, detail, displacements, etc. See, hammer isn't so scary, it's just messy, unintuitive, outdated, and a generally nasty piece of software. But it doesn't bite...much. :p I can't speak for the file size, though, since I save detailing for last.

You've still got some things to take care of, though. Most importantly, you need spawn doors. Here's a good guide for making the spawn room: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Creating_a_Spawnroom. I've done everything up to "Keep the bullies out" for you, but you should still read it all anyway so you understand basically how spawn rooms work, in case you need to rework the ones I gave you.

You've also got a nasty brush on the path leading to the upper point, from the red side. It's sorta sticking up out of the ground under the tunnel-house-thing, it's invisible from some angles, and players can get stuck on it. You also need an info_observer_point entity somewhere in the map, so players have a camera to look through when they're dead or just arrived to the map.

I've never played the instagib mod, so I'm not familiar with the gameplay balance surrounding that mod. As far as normal-style gameplay goes, there's a few other issues you might want to look into. Snipers standing on the upper point have a direct line of sight to the enemy spawn room, which is generally bad. Also, players have no real flanking route to the upper point. You could add a building inside the cliff walls that would give players alternate paths, so they could get to the upper point without having to climb the hill.

You're making good progress so far, though. Make sure you also get more advice from more experienced mappers, if you intend to take this map all the way to a finished state.

Last edited:

snorrow

Aug 6, 2014
Wow, you're learning fast. Seems like you've already got a good handle on brushes, props, clips, textures, detail, displacements, etc. See, hammer isn't so scary, it's just messy, unintuitive, outdated, and a generally nasty piece of software. But it doesn't bite...much. :p I can't speak for the file size, though, since I save detailing for last.

You've still got some things to take care of, though. Most importantly, you need spawn doors. Here's a good guide for making the spawn room: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Creating_a_Spawnroom. I've done everything up to "Keep the bullies out" for you, but you should still read it all anyway so you understand basically how spawn rooms work, in case you need to rework the ones I gave you.

You've also got a nasty brush on the path leading to the upper point, from the red side. It's sorta sticking up out of the ground under the tunnel-house-thing, it's invisible from some angles, and players can get stuck on it. You also need an info_observer_point entity somewhere in the map, so players have a camera to look through when they're dead or just arrived to the map.

I've never played the instagib mod, so I'm not familiar with the gameplay balance surrounding that mod. As far as normal-style gameplay goes, there's a few other issues you might want to look into. Snipers standing on the upper point have a direct line of sight to the enemy spawn room, which is generally bad. Also, players have no real flanking route to the upper point. You could add a building inside the cliff walls that would give players alternate paths, so they could get to the upper point without having to climb the hill.

You're making good progress so far, though. Make sure you also get more advice from more experienced mappers, too, if you intend to take this map all the way to a finished state.
thanks i guess :p
i already fixed pretty much all the bugs (like that dirt sticking up from the ground), and i already added some stuff to block sightlines and such. ill update with some photos later instead of DL link.
oh and thanks again x)

edit: anyone knows how to get rid of these annoying red lines? http://puu.sh/aIMQL/ee449846e5.jpg
edit2: nvm google is best
edit3: also i wanted to ask how do i write A-B-C on the CP's in the HUD?

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
If you are worried about the map size then try reading the size breakdown that vvis does at the end of the compile.