Microbrush 3 3D modeler for brushwork

Hai

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2015
Hmm...
While what the editor does seems very basic, there is hefty shader code behind it. I couldn't have achieved the effects I needed for the grid without that, or the look of the brushes with their contours.
If your system is very low-end, I don't know how to make it faster.
If it is however a normal/modern system, there are some things to try out.
- Is the graphics driver up to date? Unfortunately, for OpenGL we don't have a "dxdiag", but the editor informs you if your OpenGL version is too low to display anything in the first place. It's possible that most games run perfectly well on your system by default using Microsoft's default drivers. But from what I can tell, their OpenGL support is terrible, and a topical driver from the graphics vendor fixes that.
- Does it make a big difference if you show or hide the grid? (Press G, then T for toggling that) - If so, then the grid shader is too much for your graphics card or there is a new little programming detail I haven't seen yet that causes the lag.
- Press F4 and change the target FPS to 30 or something. It's possible that an application trying to render too much causes severe lag in itself.
- If you've unzipped over a previous installation or installed a new driver AND don't have the ATI/AMD workaround active, it's possible that the shader cache is incompatible with your current system. Run the "clear shader cache.bat" file once and then start again. (I wasn't able to support the shader cache on ATI cards, the technical reason is explained in "Iteration X.txt".)

For reference, my card is a GeForce GTX 660 - And it's not that new anymore.
The RAM usage should be negligible, and so also the disk space usage. Microbrush's bottleneck is the graphics card.
Exotic errors in Windows can come from having the pagefile deactivated entirely, but that's probably not the reason on your system.

Hmm. Hm?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I hadn't even opened any editor window, even with nothing open, mousing up and down the menu at the side, the highlighted button clearly lags behind where my mouse is by at least half a second if not more. With a blank editor open, the orange crosshair lags the same amount.

I did the setup for nvidia since I have a 980ti

Hai

Nov 7, 2015
Render settings toolbar:
CZ7a3JvWAAEQK8p.jpg:orig

FernandoWhitmore

Jan 19, 2016
Does it support displacements?

Edit - nevermind, just discovered those two mesh programs on your page. Meshes are hell with Hammer

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I'm super interested in following this. It seems like you have something very nice going on here and I shall be keeping a close eye on this. :D I'll be downloading this tonight to give it a go. I've went back through and read all your facepunch posts as it seems you keep that much more up to date than this thread with good reason. I'll let you know what I think and if I have any issues accomplishing anything. I'm no software programmer, but am usually pretty good at figuring out how to use these things. Glad to see you keeping up on this and getting it to where it needs to be!

Last edited:

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Texture support is something I think you should keep your eye on in the future. It would be handy to be able to knock out the bulk of brush-related work with Microbrush, and I would consider texture application as part of the brushwork. I don't think entity support is needed, that kind of functionality isn't really necessary for a program like this.

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Texture support is something I think you should keep your eye on in the future. It would be handy to be able to knock out the bulk of brush-related work with Microbrush, and I would consider texture application as part of the brushwork. I don't think entity support is needed, that kind of functionality isn't really necessary for a program like this.
I think he mentioned in one of his FP posts that texture support was something far off in the future, but I can't remember if that was a recent post where he said that or one from over 6 months ago. Lol

Hai

Nov 7, 2015
Hello. I update those threads more often that have more feedback in them. It's not so obvious, but this kind of interaction is hugely important for people in my position. Since I don't want to collect telemetry in my programs, statements from other people about my work, and media produced with it, are the only means to figure out if it works well or not, and they are a huge motivation driver.

Texture support encompasses a lot of things, as portrayed in post #84 here: http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61251
Most of that is already implemented in my work in progress version now. The actual rendering part is still amiss.

And priorities shift wildly - I was displeased with how inflexible the camera worked when coming up with a new sample scene, so I've put some effort into improving that for now, and made plans for redoing the camera plugin overall.

I can't deliver the best editor out there, because the competition is doing a pretty good job too (as linked to from the project page). I'm just trying to deliver a good thing, and have the program improve gradually with every release.

Work on this project is currently not going as well as I'd like since my normal day job is just causing me a lot of stress. Today, my company laid off more than a dozen good people. :|

Ah well, if there's interest for it, I can clean up and put together a new version soon.

Another piece, from last night:
CbcqMs7WEAEk-0y.jpg:orig

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
That's unfortunate to hear about the loss of jobs of good employees. Glad to hear one of them wasn't you. The free moving camera I did notice was a bit slow in the latest release and I couldn't figure out a way to speed it up. I did look through the config file for all the hotkeys and man are there a lot of them. I'm assuming you're a man of hotkey as opposed to a visual GUI for scene interaction? I attempted to play around with the program for about a half hour last night. Most of it was trying to figure out what the keys were to do things and what those keys did when pressed. I think you are definitely on the right track, however, if you are wanting more user input and flexibility, you may need to go out of your comfort zone and create a nice user manual or a couple BASIC tutorial videos on how to get started. Nothing crazy advanced that will take a lot to explain, just simple actions and the best way to get started. I will fully support and work with you in anything you need tested as long as I can figure out how to actually use the thing. Haha, I feel like this is way more flexible than Hammer and really want to see if succeed.

Hai

Nov 7, 2015
Oh hey, feel free to add me on Steam.
While you are in fly mode (esc), + and - as well as the mouse wheel double and halve the camera speed. It's in string akula.flyKeyConfig in the config file.
When you have the toolbar with the main editing tools open (F10), you can hover the mouse over the toolbar, press F1, and then rightclick on a button. This displays some help and also lists the bindings you are looking for, in the log window. :)
(The log window might need to be sized up a little by clicking and dragging the lower right corner.)
I understand that some kind of first steps introduction makes sense in addition to the comprehensive in-editor help. I would gladly link to any guides about my program that are maintained a bit over time, and I'm available for negotiating detail functionality and giving direct hints. :)