Microbrush 3 3D modeler for brushwork

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Shrinker, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Shrinker

Shrinker L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello there!

I'd like to present a little hobby project I am working on, a 3D modeler that could help brush out levels faster than in Hammer.
    Microbrush requires Win7 or higher to run and renders using OpenGL 3.3. If your graphics driver is up to date, it should work.
    Project page
    A recording of me building a bit with it
    A Twitter account where I also post

[​IMG]

At the moment, the focus is almost exclusively on brush work. The editor can't process texture or entity information yet, so please don't resave an existing world with it unless you want to get rid of all textures and entities.

It supports loading and saving
    - its own textual or binary formats
    - Half-Life 1 .map files
    - Half-Life 2 .vmf files
    - Quake 3 .map files

Additionally, you can run an export in its textual format with computed data (such as polygons) included, or export the same data as a Wavefront .obj file.

The business logic of the editor is realized using a plugin system, the sources for that are all shipped and compiled in the setup process.

If you're interested, download and unzip this mobile program, run "First start and tasty fresh cookies!.bat" and follow the instructions. For a reference of the configured shortcuts, have a look at the config.cfg file. To get started, I've written down a few pointers here.

Regards,

Shrinker

:)

• Useful x 12
    • Thanks x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Creative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    This looks interesting, I'll give it a try and report back.

3. JMaxchill

JMaxchill L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is there any way to resize blocks once you've placed them?

4. Empyre

Empyre L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    To be useful for Half-Life 1, it needs to be able to handle .rmf files, not .map files. That is the format used by Half-Life 1's version of Hammer, which, as you say, is still needed to texture the map.

5. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
    @JMaxchill: At the moment, you can use the tools to double and halve the size, or merge an extra thing. I want to support dragging of individual faces. That comes in the next release.

@Empyre:
    .map is Valve's old human-readable format. I have a much easier time processing formats that I can also edit in a text editor.
    .rmf is not so easy to process and they've abandoned that way of saving in Hammer later on, with .vmf being human-readable too.
    For you, it is just one extra click, just select the other file type in the open and save as dialogs in Worldcraft:
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't say it supports Half-Life 1 levels if it did not do precisely that. :)

6. Empyre

Empyre L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    OK, that makes sense.

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Have you talked to people like Joe Wintergreen about what an editor needs?
    The man has opinions. I also believe most of them are correct.

8. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
    That name doesn't ring a bell. At the moment, my todo list will still keep me busy for a while. :)

9. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    I understand why you posted this here, but it doesnt support TF2 Hammer yet?
    Or it does and I missed that...

10. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
    It reads and writes VMF files, like Hammer.

11. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Doesnt TF2 have its own config for hammer though? I thought you would need seperate support.
    Ohh well im not the kinda person that would know, so if im wrong im wrong.

12. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
    Since Microbrush doesn't support entities yet, it makes no difference for it. You can build geometry for CSS, HL2 and TF2 with it all the same. :)

13. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
  14. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    I've had a look at your videos. I'm impressed. Nice work.

15. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
    Upcoming changes: The log becomes a lot more talkative and will also finally display the shortcuts functions are bound to.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. SC PL

aa SC PL local shitposter

Positive Ratings:
    Looks interesting

18. Shrinker

Positive Ratings:
    Ctrl+F5 on http://shrinker.beyond-veils.de/projects/IterationX/Microbrush3/ to see the new version (2015-12-08).
    Changes:
    * Fixed an undo/redo-related crash when closing a world or the editor
    * Added logging for the modeling tools - you now get live feedback on deltas, dimensions, counts, etc.
    * Extended the help system (comes up when you press F1 while hovering over a window, then rightclick on something) to display relevant currently bound shortcuts (main menu and Mb3 tools)
    * Deleting the selection set 1/2 is now properly undoable
    * Help messages and error messages are now displayed in the log even if the respective plugin is deactivated in the log
    * Modal tools are now canceled by nonmodal tools, too (e.g. making a box is canceled when deleting the selection)
    * The main menu now has a button explaining the not so obvious window controls
    * For better performance, the brush shader is now reused when a world is closed and then a new world created or opened
    * Extended the FAQ a bit
    * Bound opening a .mb3txt file to Ctrl+O (you can change that stuff in config.cfg)
    * Bound opening the toolbar to F10 (horizontal) and Shift+F10 (vertical)

19. RataDeOrdenador

RataDeOrdenador L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    This right here,is blowing my mind right now in SO many ways...

You sir are doing an awesome job here. Dunno if this program will ACTUALLY help me (I mean,I'm still learning with Hammer and such),but this project looks amazing,and I'm sure people with better knowledge will definetly use this.

Keep up your good work,sir.

20. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Whole application runs at about 1-2 fps for me totally unusably slow. Do you know why this might be?