Map not compiling correctly

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Manikku, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Manikku

Manikku L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I need some help with my map, as I've been wanting to get it on a public release for my server. I have compiled it, but there's tons of issues everywhere, from the map being completely black and a half of the map is nowhere to be found, the skybox not where it is supposed to be. Can anyone possibly help with this or point out what's wrong? Here is a compile log from running VBSP:

Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 13 2012)
    4 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.vmf
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/nature/blendgroundtograss009_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest_viaduct_event_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    **** leaked ****
    Entity prop_static (-1786.58 2915.80 1301.55) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1024.0 11776.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1536.0 12288.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2560.0 12288.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1024.0 10752.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1024.0 9728.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1024.0 8704.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-3584.0 12288.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-4608.0 12288.0 1898.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (1)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...done (0)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (0)
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_trainyard_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_trainyard_01 to build the default cubemap!
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_trainyard_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...
    WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
    done (0) (3028396 bytes)
    Static prop models/props_forest/cliff_wall_02a_mirrored.mdl outside the map (-3581.11, 673.00, 1437.78)
    Static prop models/props_forest/shrub_03b.mdl outside the map (-1264.84, 9156.00, 898.00)
    Static prop models/props_forest/shrub_03_cluster.mdl outside the map (-1513.58, 8766.00, 911.00)
    Static prop models/props_forest/shrub_03_cluster.mdl outside the map (-1035.09, 8699.00, 858.00)
    Static prop models/props_halloween/smlprop_spider.mdl outside the map (-1475.56, 9190.50, 893.47)
    Static prop models/props_forest/rock002.mdl outside the map (-3216.46, 3529.00, 1228.13)
    Static prop models/props_forest/rock003.mdl outside the map (-3219.11, 3614.09, 1239.00)
    Static prop models/props_forest/rock002.mdl outside the map (-3615.11, 3116.00, 1164.00)
    Static prop models/props_forest/rock001.mdl outside the map (-3481.75, 2810.00, 1249.00)
    Static prop models/props_forest/rock001.mdl outside the map (-3659.99, 2410.00, 1172.00)
    Static prop models/props_forest/rock003.mdl outside the map (-5239.65, 3307.00, -187.00)
    Static prop models/props_forest/rock004.mdl outside the map (-4364.23, 2896.00, -115.00)
    Static prop models/props_foliage/tree_pine_huge.mdl outside the map (-3339.16, 4642.00, 1226.00)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8..Error! Too many detail props emitted on this map! (64K max!)n

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.bsp"

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Your map is full of leaks, which means VVIS is able to see into the void. That's the source of all your problems.

You can use this to check for other errors: http://interlopers.net/errors

What you need to do is seal your map, either with tools/skybox or nodraw or other world geometry--props, displacements, func_details and other brush entities do not seal. Areaportals that can see from one side to the other side will also leak.

Click Map > Load Pointfile to find where your entities are leaking into the void. Compile the map again (VBSP is the only thing you need to run for this) and load the pointfile again. When it asks you to load a .lin file, you're done and your map is leak free.

Leaks are gonna affect optimization, playability, and lighting, so it's really best to fix those things. Mapping on the 16-32u grid really helps eliminate leaks before they happen.

3. Manikku

Positive Ratings:
    Hm, yeah, my areas are all surrounded by skyboxes, that I have created anddeleted many times to make sure that there weren't any leaking to lead on to. The problem still persists if I load the pointfile, it points to an entity that was causing no leak in past compiles.

4. tyler

Positive Ratings:
  5. Manikku

Positive Ratings:
    Right, I've followed it, it leaks out into the void. I've rid of it, but as expected, the problem persists.

6. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Right, because the entity is not causing the leak and your problem is that VVIS can see into the void. You need to seal your map using world geometry as I explained in my earlier post. If you keep removing entities, you'll remove them all without solving the problem.

7. Manikku

Positive Ratings:
    It is sealed, by a skybox surrounding the area and the entity/entities within it. If you'd want, I can send you the VMF file if my explanation isn't thorough enough. Or, I can try explaining anything else that could lead to the leak.

8. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Well, you've either got a leak, or your skybox is not a world brush (which would then leak). Hammer don't lie, dude. Pop into steam chat and send it to me.

9. Manikku

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I'm still having some issues, haven't been able to resolve the problem. I've rid of the Power 4 Displacements, though it says I still have some in the map apparently. The leak prop also constantly changes to a different subject on each time it is compiled. Here's the compile log:

Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 13 2012)
    4 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.vmf
    ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest_viaduct_event_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/cp_mountainlab/nature/blendrocktograss002_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/nature/blendgroundtograss007_nodetail_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/trade_forest/nature/blendgroundtograss009_wvt_patch
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    **** leaked ****
    Entity prop_static (-7718.00 6071.00 2934.00) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (8704.0 -8192.0 1950.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (8482.0 -7168.0 -1951.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (8994.0 -7168.0 -1951.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (8482.5 -7168.0 2086.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (8994.5 -7168.0 2086.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (9216.0 -7680.0 1950.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (7680.0 -7168.0 -1951.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (7617.5 -7168.0 1854.5)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 696 detail faces...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (1)
    WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
    done (1) (16438388 bytes)
    Static prop models/props_forest/cliff_wall_10_mirrored.mdl outside the map (-7933.00, 5663.00, 2880.63)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Compacting texture/material tables...
    Reduced 3342 texinfos to 2107
    Reduced 80 texdatas to 73 (2379 bytes to 2011)
    Writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.bsp
    9 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps\trade_forest.bsp"

10. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    I'd gladly look your .vmf through as well. I've nothing better to do right now :p

11. Manikku

Positive Ratings:
    Sure, could I add you on Steam as well? Sent the VMF via PM too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  12. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Holy shit dude. That map is HUUUUUGE!

I don't really think i can save it. Here are the notes i took during my examination:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  13. JDNelsonheimer

JDNelsonheimer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey! im in a very similar boat! i opened up the sdk version of the pl_badwater and stuck a sentry on top of the cart i CHANGED NOTHING ELSE! and now when i run the map it works fine accept the map is on full bright, i know i can disable this with a console command but i want it to work normal. someone please take a look at my compile log.

Compile log: (i cut out the part where it says my folders and name ect because i felt like it.)

ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    Patching WVT material: maps/pl_badwater_sentrycart/nature/blendgroundtogravel005_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pl_badwater_sentrycart/nature/blendgroundtograss005_wvt_patch
    0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...100...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Occluder "" straddles multiple areas. This is invalid!
    Chop Details...done (1)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 716 detail faces...done (1)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (2)
    writing C:\Users\Julian Cecchetto\Desktop\pl_badwater_sentrycart.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (0)
    Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
    skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
    ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
    skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
    ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges.
    done (3) (1349399 bytes)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Compacting texture/material tables...
    Reduced 6895 texinfos to 4319
    Reduced 197 texdatas to 181 (4903 bytes to 4309

14. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Entire log please.

15. Janeator

Janeator L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wait wait what? power 4 displacements make maps uncompilable? Because all of mines are power 4 for more res....

16. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, splitting it in groups with power 2 displacements is much better.

17. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    It's not recommended because Demoman stickies can crash servers when applied to power of 4 displacements (though I've never EVER seen that happen) and it requires much more CPU power to be used to calculate it's mesh, so it's best sticking with power of 2 or 3.

18. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Power 4 displacements can cause odd errors and crashes ingame and if the map is large and there are many displacements with power 4, it won't even compile at all in some cases. Stick with power of 2 if you can, 3 if you must but don't use that a lot either.

19. Janeator

Janeator L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    D: i got a bunch of them and they're all lvl 4, because i thought that way it'd have more 'resolution'. So what can i do now? can i automatically split them into power 2 ones without loosing what i did? also, i don't feel like having lvl 2 displacements the size of the actual ones, rather a quarter.

20. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    In the displacement editing window you can lower their power and then hit apply. It might be easier in the long run to just redo them as smaller brushes with lower powers. Do whatever is good in the long run--don't force yourself to exist in a bad situation, it'll burn you out.