Mangy's Frontier Essay

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
BUMP

I think this is too great of a read to get buried in the forum depths, and I bet a lot of the newer members here have not seen it, or knew it existed.

It's a great read about how to make decisions based on actual data and observation. And how to properly do iterative testing.

Here's a download for pl_frontier_a1 maybe it helps having both this and the final version to compare between? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1281220/maps/pl_frontier_a1.bsp.bz2 You can definitely tell it's frontier even in a1, but there's a lot of interesting changes made in every area.

And maybe for newer mappers it might be interesting to see how a now official map started out. have a look at the a1 version and how simple the brushwork is. It was made to be easily and quickly edited. There's not even stairs, because ramps are faster and don't require clips and junk.

You can learn a lot from pl_frontier, new or experienced. This thread is amazing. Read it.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Thank you Ravidge, I didn't know how much I wanted to read this. And I read the entire thing. :O

obsidiian

L1: Registered
Jul 6, 2013
That was a good read. I had no idea that much analysis went into creating my favorite payload map. It also made me feel a lot less prepared to try and create a new map aimed at competitive play.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Thanks for the bump, Tyler. That was a great read. I know you probably won't be around to answer this, but I do have a question for anyone who may know the answer. You state on page 17 that the ideal interest curve cannot be quantified yet you use an "ideal" interest curve and obtain a percentage of deviation from it using your iterations. Where are you pulling the numbers to do these calculations? You've stated the ideal curve isn't associated with units so I'm confused there.

Nethy

L1: Registered
Jan 19, 2018
Hey!

I sadly cannot access the Dropbox link because it is apparently missing (404 error). Does anyone have a copy of the thesis? It seemed like a interesting read. Thanks~ c:

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Hey!

I sadly cannot access the Dropbox link because it is apparently missing (404 error). Does anyone have a copy of the thesis? It seemed like a interesting read. Thanks~ c:
Yeah, as I'm interested in PL mapping at the moment, I'd love to see what this thesis has to say!

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017