L1: Registered
Apr 8, 2016
  • Added 2 sniper balconies for both teams
  • Rebuilt cubemaps
  • Lightning optimisation
  • General optimisation
  • Small changes
Read the rest of this update entry...

The other classes can't access where the snipers are so they could be even more OP. For example how can a heavy counter that? They should have a way to get up and down. I'm also not a fan of the one of 2 random spawns. Also it could cause problems that the snipers will be closer to the point so when the rest of the team arrives the snipers can just pick them off and they have no chance.

The lighting is better.

Jekyllson

L3: Member
Jun 20, 2015
you are forgetting the volcano fragment, which while nullified by people dropping healthpacks is still rather effective.

but yes, water would help out the pyro's situation

As someone who plays an unhealthy amount of Medieval mode, I have to disagree. When it comes to general Medieval combat, the Backscratcher is a better choice for Pyro than the SVF in at least 80% of situations. But regardless of your preference, neither offers Pyro any interesting abilities that aren't available in superior forms to other classes. Even the SVF+Sun-on-a-Stick combo is honestly easier to pull off with a Huntsman Sniper using a torch.

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
yeah, the only thing pyro can do that other classes cant is use water, while the SVF isnt great and is bettered by the Back Scratcher (i myself forgot about this) it does provide a slightly different play style of a kind of offensive support by helping to finish off running enemies. But medieval's problem (or maybe not dependant on how you look at it) is that demo kind of tops everything.

Jul 6, 2015
yeah, the only thing pyro can do that other classes cant is use water, while the SVF isnt great and is bettered by the Back Scratcher (i myself forgot about this) it does provide a slightly different play style of a kind of offensive support by helping to finish off running enemies. But medieval's problem (or maybe not dependant on how you look at it) is that demo kind of tops everything.
Three Words/Letters
K
G
B
I am heavy weapons guy, and this.. is my weapon.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
One thing that you should never do is decide what part of a map a certain class spawns in, and even worse is to then lock that class to a small room being able to do absolutely nothing. Have players spawn all in the same room, nothing more, and most importantly, DON'T limit a class to one part of the map.

AlexCookie

Suspect of eating cookies alive
aa
Apr 21, 2016
One thing that you should never do is decide what part of a map a certain class spawns in, and even worse is to then lock that class to a small room being able to do absolutely nothing. Have players spawn all in the same room, nothing more, and most importantly, DON'T limit a class to one part of the map.
You played this map for 2 minutes! So you don't know that snipers have 3 different spawns. All you need to exit this spot is just change class, die or change loadout.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
You played this map for 2 minutes! So you don't know that snipers have 3 different spawns. All you need to exit this spot is just change class, die or change loadout.
Nope. Killed myself as Sniper 5 times, spawned in the same spot.

Besides, point still stands. Don't restrict movement/lock someone up in a small room just because a person went a certain class. Just don't do that.

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
You're not suppose to be locked in this room. Will fix it.

still though, all classes should be given equal chances and opportunities - by having the same spawnrooms. Else you are being classist.

Jul 6, 2015
FYI: Im using the most updated version before the episode of Map Follies with Dave, so if you update it BEFORE THE JAM, thats the version im going to be using.

The episode will be during the jam, probably early on so you can look at the utube later (assuming your partaking in the event)

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
The problem I see with koth maps, especially narrow ones, is that all the action happens in the same area for the whole match. It's why I made Namicott to get around that, it's why I like Nucleus since the areas at the sides of the point are distant enough to feel like a separate mini-objective, and it's also why medieval mode on a koth map is twice as stale. At least on Degroot you have multiple control points to run around.

It's also why I don't see the point of extending time on such a map. Medieval is shallow enough to have all the feedback be given during the default time limit and it's unlikely that ten more minutes of random melees will uncover something important.

The sniper rooms are too much of an inconvenience. To get out of them I have to either change class and play something else just to get out, go to console, or let myself be killed on purpose and pray to RNGesus he doesn't drop me into the same room again. None of that seems to me like it can be a part of a fun gameplay. Also, they could use being brighter so that snipers inside are more clearly visible and it doesn't look like an out-of-bounds area.

If you insist on having those dinky ass rooms, try putting a premade teleporter from spawn. Just a dynamic prop, a particle effect and a teleport entity at both ends. That would give players a choice as to what they feel like doing with each of their lives. Although, that might be more life support than that room is worth.

Also, I got spawncamped by a demo on the other sniper only spawn.

Also, the castle walls are too flat for my liking. Looks almost like a classic first map in a box. Needs... something.

Last edited:

AlexCookie

Suspect of eating cookies alive
aa
Apr 21, 2016
  • Castle!
    koth_lilburgh_rc10004-jpg.19710

• Some retexturing
  • Extra details
  • Optimisation
  • Skybox improvement

Read the rest of this update entry...