V3rb

L1: Registered
Oct 16, 2020
I cannot get glowing textures to work at all in tf2. So, all I want to do is make some floating glowing pure white cubes that are very bright, and so I created a lights.rad file for it. But, no matter what I do, the white cube gives off a very faint glow to the surrounding area, and no other textures glow, no matter what I do to the lights.rad file I created. I was very confused for a while but I believe I have figured out that tf2 uses a hidden lights.rad file with 56 entries, and so if I want to use a lights.rad file, I must name it something else, like lights_2.rad, put it in the tf folder, and then do an expert compile with $light_exe having -lights lights_2.rad at the beginning of the parameters.

Except, it doesn't seem to do anything. At first I thought it might be some conflicting values with the hidden file, as Valve probably has lights/white_fill set to give off light, but then I tried to make dev or rock textures glow using this method and I couldn't. For the light I put 255 255 255 2500, so it would definitely be an obvious very bright glow, but nothing's happening. No matter what I do, this white-textured cube I have gives off a dim glow, and no other textures ever do anything.

I even tried another method listed on the developer wiki, where I renamed the file <map name>.rad and put it in the same folder as my vmf for the map, but that did nothing as well. It could have something to do with the fact that the texture is lights/white_fill, but again, I could not get any normal textures to glow either. Nothing I do, including deleting the [visible] lights.rad file seems to do anything. I am at a complete loss.

The only thing I can think of is that I am using A Boojum Snark's Resource Pack. Please help.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I had a similar problem back in the day, when I tried to add custom fluorescent light panels. I think the TF2 version of VRAD might just be busted. Similar to how TF2's engine branch is missing a lot of other standard Source features.

V3rb

L1: Registered
Oct 16, 2020
Bump in case it isn't impossible to fix.
And, well, if it is really just broken, then is there any other way to achieve a similar effect, at least?