light_env (pitch yaw roll vs pitch)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Open Blade, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So why is there a separate pitch setting for this when PYR (pitch yaw roll) should cover all 3 dimensions of an object?

I mean, if I have my light coming from the light_env at 70 degrees in the pitch field, then what would be the difference if I set the PYR to 0 70 0?

2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    No difference. The option seems quite redundant to be honest, as you have pointed it out. Putting 70 into your pitch will put your PYR to '0 70 0'. It's literally the same thing.

I imagine pitch gets used a lot more than yaw or roll? Who knows. Valve is silly.

3. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I was just browsing through the skylist at valve site and all the skybox reference data shows each at 0 ? 0 (where the question mark is a unique number to each skybox). So they only really change the pitch on all the stock maps, meaning the sun is right in the middle of the map origin, never on the edges?

4. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yea if you make the sun too low the shadows cast are kinda difficult to work with.