Let's talk Doomsday.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Here's a list of some ways to make SD more dynamic:

- Launch the opponent's rocket
Adds an additional capture zone and the potential to suddenly go from offense to defense. Placing the capture zone in the enemy's base makes it hard to push towards and arm, making it an effective end round goal.

- Spawn one of two flags randomly
Add two flag zones but only spawn the flag at one of them. Doesn't really fix the neutral point problem but it will spread teams thinner at the start, forcing them to go to the flags rather than the rockets in order to win. Could be improved if the only way to reach the rocket requires passing by the flag zones.

- Elevator moves down instead of up
Makes less sense, but the elevator starts at the top and lowers down to a more vulnerable position. Forces the flag carrier to take a longer route initially, which makes his route more important, and makes it easier to defend rather than harder.

- Put the capture zone near the flag zone
Would require a more vertical layout, but starting the flag near the capture zone means it's less tedious to pick up and removes the issue of wasting the arena around the flag once it's taken.

...so, make ctf_converge

NO IT'S CALLED BOOMTOWN.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
I think an issue with this map, is that after a team wards off an attack on the rocket they then have to return to the flag area, leaving the rocket undefended.

If a team is capping rocket, and looses it is because they are not defending well: likely their players are not at the rocket, which means they are in a position to get to the flag.

The other team experiences this: stop enemy from capping rocket. Now in control of rocket but must wait for flag to return. Flag returning gives enemy huge chance to regroup at flag and forces attackers to defend dropped flag location and then to retreat to flag, and then attack again. The map rewards failure.

This is the exact issue I was trying to avoid with bloviation, but I do not think it is inherent to the gamemode. I think Lancey's ideas would help alot. The issues are similar to the problems with hunted and flag A/D though. This map is why payload and CP exist. The objective system is always focused on the flag. @ MetalKev: Yes.

I think the flag needs to return faster in certain situations.
I think that moving the CP horizontally towards flag may solve some of this, so that's what my 72 hour map is.

Last edited:

Gus

L1: Registered
Feb 28, 2012
This map needs way more signs. This area, for example, when a new player capture the Australlium, there's no hint about where the rocket is.

And about the gamemode, I haven't played it with other players yet, but I like the idea of having two or more flagzones, specially if when the flag dropped it'd immediately return to the flagzone.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm already thinking of possible map retrofits to try it out elsewhere, does anyone have any ideas? What map would this fit best in?

Dunno. I was thinking about 5cp maps, using mid to last and making them symmetrical--for a lot of official ones it isn't a stretch, like Granary and Well. Take Artpass B and C and mirror it along B somehow, have a rocket in each base? Gorge--blu spawn to A maybe? Hightower? Pipeline stage 3, rocket at the bottom? Nightfall stage 3, same? Nucleus, rocket in the center, intel at 2 random drop sites?

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
Sounds like some great ideas for this gamemode around here.

Mar 23, 2010
schwa should make garbageday with the intel under the point and the rocketelevator on the opposite side of the real elevator - facing outwards. or something like that.

i feel like it would be overall more interesting if the elevator moved much faster, maybe a shorter distance. and you had to get 3-5 caps to win. heck maybe no rocketelevator, just a capture point that you have to stand on for awhile. not sure if possible with current entities though.

Last edited:

D4RKSL4Y3R

Dec 21, 2010
I'm definitely with you on the detailing. There are way too many blank, bland walls scattered around. It looks like a b1 in most places, especially the incredibly ugly, plain tunnel going left out of spawn. That finale is cool as hell, though.

i really like the details, maps like cp_junction just ruin the gameplay with so much shit everywhere in terms of details :)

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Someone reartpass Junction to make it outdoors.

Bonus mode: Give it Lumberyard theming.

D4RKSL4Y3R

Dec 21, 2010
Someone reartpass Junction to make it outdoors.

Bonus mode: Give it Lumberyard theming.

yer that would be cool, with higher skybox's.

been thinking aboud sd, mybe it would be cool with two places to take the autralium to? kinda like cs style rotates etc. Mybe just make the two diffrent sites say 5 secounds away from each other as scout

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
T

The Asylum

Petition for Pipeball Classic

Make Pipeball a supported gametype

wait for pb_2fort

MarcoPixel

Apr 22, 2012
EA4B0EAEE66DB37D770F806D503B4F8816CEA339

Heavy WIP Screenshot of my Doomsday Map "sd_scorpio"

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
The health kits on the flag area are completely fabulous. Can't get enough. The way they're placed in the doorway means it's a risky pickup if you're fighting across the gap, but if you're fighting someone down at flag level it's a fairly safe pickup because of the angles. Reinforces how the flag should be a risky area.

fabulous

Really irritating sniper spots though

Mar 23, 2010
isnt that tree and rock asym

DarkApollo

Jun 29, 2012
Here's a list of some ways to make SD more dynamic:

- Launch the opponent's rocket
Adds an additional capture zone and the potential to suddenly go from offense to defense. Placing the capture zone in the enemy's base makes it hard to push towards and arm, making it an effective end round goal.

- Spawn one of two flags randomly
Add two flag zones but only spawn the flag at one of them. Doesn't really fix the neutral point problem but it will spread teams thinner at the start, forcing them to go to the flags rather than the rockets in order to win. Could be improved if the only way to reach the rocket requires passing by the flag zones.

- Elevator moves down instead of up
Makes less sense, but the elevator starts at the top and lowers down to a more vulnerable position. Forces the flag carrier to take a longer route initially, which makes his route more important, and makes it easier to defend rather than harder.

- Put the capture zone near the flag zone
Would require a more vertical layout, but starting the flag near the capture zone means it's less tedious to pick up and removes the issue of wasting the arena around the flag once it's taken.

NO IT'S CALLED BOOMTOWN.

Easy fix is to give each team their own rocket with the objective being to launch your opponent's (or blow it up or whatever) and putting the flag in the middle. You could let either team pick it up when it's dropped this way, or just stick with a short return time (maybe 5 seconds?)

Kinda working on this exact concept for my current map. I had made that EXACT map years ago for TFC where the objective was to get the 'flag' from the other base, return to your base where the blast doors would close, the missile would launch and nuke the crap out of the oppositions base, killing everyone inside. The map was made in a U shape and was a decently fun varient on CTF.

Back to DoomsDay.. Its horrid. My clans server put it on a 24/7 rotation for the week and after about 5 runs through I had my fare share of 'this crap is getting old'. Being a hardcore-rarely-play-anything-else-blue-team sniper it REALLY caters to the spy and explosives laden classes. The sight lines from the blue side on the ridge are just awful. When the elevator is at or close to the top you cant hit ANYTHING let alone see anything. I did manage to boom-headshot the flag carrier once or twice just as the top was starting to open, but that long return delay meant that all the other team had to do was rocket jump onto the platform and finish capping it. In the 100 games that I forced myself to play on that stupid map (i cant believe there is an acheve for 138 games played... ugh... )I think there were maybe one or two battles happening in the flag area. Heck I didnt even know where the flag WAS for the better part of the days game play. I just sat by the rocket the whole time.

Nice concept, wretched execution...

lerlerson

L2: Junior Member
Nov 27, 2007
I think that creative ways to make the two-arena system work more fluidly and dynamically should be thought up.

For example:

Bringing the intel to the point 'captures' the intel and spawns another one back at the intel spawn. Bringing the intelligence to the point makes it cappable by your team, and if your team brings another intelligence to the point it multiplies the rate at which you capture. If the enemy team brings a flag there, it makes it cappable for them instead of your team.

Or something like that.