JoshuaC's Arena Map goes official!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
That means, when I use a costum model, like in pl_hoodo, my map goes not official? D:

According to Chilly's post, it all depends on whether the creator of the model/texture agrees to let Valve include it or not.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
I said that too, but then I read that they tried it out 6v6, and it was such a spamfest it was deleted from the league rotation almost immediately.

Well, "competitive" "players" (I use the terms loosely) *are* kinda odd, in that they'll latch onto any slight in a map (real or perceived), whether it actually exists or not.

Personally, I havn't had *too* much trouble with games on it with 8+ players on a team. (I wouldn't recommend it for more than 24 players, but most Valve maps break down over that point, anyway.) The final point *can* be tough to take, but it's not impossible. There isn't a invulnerable sentry spot anywhere, and there's multiple ways to get to the final point, so it's not like you're being forced to always enter the point one way.

Ubers are actually a bit *more* useful on the map.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
i have to say it is a good fun map. This map isn't really a competitive map but it brings pub-play to a competitive niveau.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Escapist Interview said:
A new Payload map is in the works, more community maps are on the way and the team will soon unveil a very different new game mode.
This would make sense:

1. Valve will only produce one official map, a new Payload map
2. The new gamemode is fan-made. Comes with a Third community map.

Oh my god! If this was true I'd shit myself harder than the Heavy's supposed 7-map update

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
It's hard to think of custom maps with new gamemodes.

Canalzone? Dragon Slayer? The Hunted?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Canalzone is domination and domination has always been a supported game mode. Just look on the valve wiki.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
meridian doesn't use any new entities, though, would it?

Additionally, it is still heavily in development.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Congrats to the mappers.

I'm kindof suprised though.

I'd think Harvest would be a more likely candidate for an arena map release, even desolation. Both play well and are designed better IMO for all classes. To me Watchtower is too open, hard to stay on paths, easier to own the CP before round end.

I know I've played Junction but it doesn't stand out to me in anyway in particular.

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
Harvest was made by the same person as Junction. His TF2 portfolio is as follows: Junction, Egypt, Oilfield, Harvest.

So... I'm not gonna be surprised if we see more of his work included in Valve updates.

I'd also like to add that PC players aren't the only people who have TF2. Junction is absolutely perfect for the small games and character choices of the XBox. Valve is rolling the updates into a big console release.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Canalzone is domination and domination has always been a supported game mode. Just look on the valve wiki.
Domination is not a "supported" game mode. There are no official entities for it and the scoring system is always hackish. The wiki is a wiki, edited by anyone, not just valve. Plus domination is listed there as a "user mode".

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
It's hard to keep track of who did what. Especially when I played with him in a game and believe his user name was something else (been awhile, not sure).

I have played his other maps. He's a decent mapper, but I think I like Harvest best. Nominates egypt last night as it had been awhile. Great map but the second stage is almost impossible for blu. Both spawn doors exit into one small area that can be dominated from way high up. If only that one point wasn't so one sided.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Heh, I think Meridian has a long way to go.

Canalzone is a port, correct? Would Valve really be able to legally release that?

EDIT: Doh, I didn't see the third page. I think this post is somewhat outdated.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
Congrats...BTW i know a guy who knows a guy who works in Valve
vo9givg87glrelvnb67l.jpg

Maybe a fake, but i kinda beleave it...

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
I dont trust that their going to give Hunted back. I certainly hope not.

Brandished

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 19, 2008
For all those that haven't played TFC, here's a list of all the Valve made maps for the game (with gameplay descriptions). These maps will NOT likely make it into future updates unless they're being made by Valve employees themselves. It would be unlikely for Valve to be paying for an unofficial port made from one of their own maps. (warning, image is teh huge):

Last edited: