JoshuaC's Arena Map goes official!

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
With today's new 'scout pack' info, it was revealed that a TF2Maps.net member JoshuaC's arena map arena_watchtower will be made official.

Congrats from the entire TF2 mapping community!

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
Its a great map, but Arena is a dead game mode. Also I have never heard of Junction. Seriously, do valve pay any attention to what maps people want included? The only one they have got right is cp_steel.

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
I would like to edit my last post because it sounds too negative. Plus I will reserve judgement on Junction until I get a good play around on it. I cant seem to find the edit button though.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
personally i'd prefer to have seen hoodoo appear in the official community maps... instead it's an arena map (a good one, true, but still arena...), and a map that neither me nor most people i know have ever even heard of before (but probably plays and looks good)...

PMAvers

Jan 29, 2008
Junction has been around quite a while.

Yeah, it's pretty ancient.

I'd like to say it was one of the first solid custom Gravel-pitesque maps released... but it's been a *long* time since it came out. At least a year.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Junction is supposedly a favourite among the competitive scene...

Quite the opposite. Junction was played for under a month, roughly six months ago. After playing it for a bit people realized how bad the map is.

It is a terrible map with extremely narrow and tight choke point (even chockier then goldrush) that 1 soldi and 1 demo could completely block in a 6v6. I cannot even imagine how purely this play in a 24 or 32 man server.

But hey! It looks nice /sarcasm/.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I think Watchtower is pretty good, definitely one of the better arena maps. I've had some fun times on it. Congratulations on having it included as an official map, JoshuaC.

Still, I have to be honest and say that I think it's an odd choice by Valve, since the large open areas clearly go against their design philosophy and all that. I also wonder if the breakable glass is still there...

Junction is an ever stranger choice, considering all the times I've played it, Demomen ruled the entire map in the ultra-tight chokepoints. I don't even think Snipers will have anything to do on this map at all.

Feb 14, 2008

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Well, based on what has been chosen, it'll probably be something else I don't like...

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I said that too, but then I read that they tried it out 6v6, and it was such a spamfest it was deleted from the league rotation almost immediately.

Btw, have you all seen this?:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805156

Chilly reckons there'll be another community map :O

Oh, that would be awesome! I hope you're right, Chilly. I really do.

...But on the other hand, I kind of hope not. This will fill up another of the six "slots" for the update, leaving only three more open. I expect the last three to be a weapon, a weapon + achievements and the last one to be either a Meet the Team video or a new map/mode...but logically, we'd only get one of those, which would be sort of sad.