Interview Questions Thread

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I think the compile options one is legit, it is something I'm interested in as Youme rants about proper lighting and all kinds of extra parameters like forcetextureshadow, softshadow, etc.

Being able to compile like Valve compiles will only make our maps look better.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Ya know, this is why I shouldn't be allowed to post when I'm tired, lol. Because you all raise some valid points. I'll give our questionaire a proper review with all of this in mind.

Username

L2: Junior Member
Aug 26, 2008
Is it too late to add more?

"What's the most beautiful/elegant solution to a problem in one of your maps you've ever had?"

"How have the ways the community received your maps fulfilled your expectations? How have they surprised you?"

"Seeing as all of you are expert TF2 players by now, how do you properly playtest your maps? Do you bring in outside players?"

"What are the differences in creating maps for TF2, L4D, and Portal? What are some of the similarities?"

"Have you figured out how to reliably make the player look up yet?"

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Easy question: How long does it take to create a map, from the very first design meeting all the way to its public release?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Something I'm genuinely curious about; What's your favorite 'Meet the Class' video? Do the personalities created in those vids influence how you design for that class?
More like: There are a few sections of the 'Meet the' videos that do not line upwith existing maps, are these new locations build in the modeling program presumably used to film said videos or are they quickly knocked up in hammer by the mapping team?

Jan 31, 2008
Why do the weapons have a level on them?
Are there more than just two types per weapon coming up?

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Why do the weapons have a level on them?
Are there more than just two types per weapon coming up?

1st is just a quick nod to the levels on weapons in RPGs, it has nothing to do with the weapons power.
2nd will probably not be answered, as they still have 6 more classes to give second weapons to.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
"Could you give us tips on placing health and ammo pickups? Where? What size? How much?"

I'd like to know an answer to this. The maps I make tend to be very sparse in pickups.

Jan 31, 2008
Have you ever faced optimization issues on open maps like badwater, Hydro or gravelpit? And how did you solve it?

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Or better yet, 'What is the most challenging optimization issue you have faced in TF2?' I think we'll be sending our reply and a 'thank you' in another week so, casually pointing out that our contest is almost over and to look at all the fancy entries :D

Sep 12, 2008
Can you show us a screenshot/sneakpeak (don't really know what to call it) of a Valve map in alpha/beta stage?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Are we still doing this?

I'd like to elaborate more on my question and add a couple more.

Q: How do you decide where to place health and ammo pickups? When would it be appropriate to use larger pickups?

Q: How many playable iterations of a map did it take before you were satisfied?

Q: Out of curiosity, which maps took the least iterations? The most?

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Did you play with leggos, lincoln logs and/or erector sets?

ha ha, but sersiously...

Do you use any other program outside of Hammer to make maps?