I can has insta-compile?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by A Boojum Snark, Mar 7, 2009.

1. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
  2. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah. I want it.

Now.

3. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I is not impressed
    "its graphics card, an Asus GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB"

for a $16000 machine I at least want to see some sli/ crossfire, never mind cards with dual processors

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    i dont think graphic cards matter when compiling.

5. MrAlBobo

Positive Ratings:
    while the thread says compiling, the actual link saying nothing about compiling...so...Im going to go out on a limb and say it is not intended for solely compiling...

6. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    compiling?

7. MrAlBobo

Positive Ratings:
    ...you lost me

8. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Well clearly whatever it was intended for was pure number crunching and the client didn't care about video rendering. That said... I'm guessing that much CPU power could push out some decent video rendering all by itself if it had the correct software to do so.

Anyway, now I found the storage system to go with this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs"]YouTube - Samsung SSD Awesomeness[/ame] :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Raiding 24 of those things? Nice. Guess if I had a lot of cash to throw away, I could get both the system and the drives.

10. Pink_Panther

Pink_Panther L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    the problem with multiprocessor computers is that everyone assumes a program will use them all when its running. Usually a program/process will run on one unless its specifically programmed to use multiple. Compiling for Valve i am pretty sure only uses one at a time. (havent checked this).

There is a way to link mulitiple computers together with the compile tools delivered with Hammer. If you could set up multiple compile sets on the same computer (blocked by steam, unless you have multiple users logged in) then you could crank out some heavy compiling pretty fast.

As for the graphics card, the new Geforce 2xx cards can be used by programs if the programming is designed to use it. Its one of their new features and they are supposed to be really powerful number crunchers (go figure). But, im pretty sure that they havent included that into the compilers.

11. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    All three compilers have a -threads flag you can set, but it defaults to the max your system has anyway. :)

12. Apom

Apom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    According to the links, the customer asked for Windows 2008 Server to be installed, not your usual XP/Vista/7 operating system. So if it's not compiling, it's another form of equally brutal number crunching that certainly doesn't make use of graphic power.

Also, the Valve compilers are entirely multi-threaded (as evidenced by the sluggishness of your computer when they are running on a multi-core), unlike the game itself - until they force the L4D engine into TF2, a the cost of legacy DirectX support.

13. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The compilers create 1 thread for each CPU core, meaning that compiling uses (can use) 100% of the CPU.

On the other hand.... I want.

14. RichT

RichT L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That would be fun.
    All i need is £16,000... but with the interest rates as low as 2%... Maybe *sniff* maybe.

15. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
  16. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Shiny keyboard!
    <3 Think Geek...

17. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Valve maps would not compile on 16 cores. Multi-thread are per core base. It's not the same a multi-thread compiler for 2 cores, 4, 8 etc. I doubt Valve made the compiler for 16 cores or 8, because they said they use Intel Corei7 940 2,93 GHz which has 4 cores.

18. Apom

Apom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    What kind of bad programming makes multi-threading dependant on number of cores? Seeing the quality of Valve products, I doubt they wouldn't have an universal solution.

19. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it's not the same to send:

than

I don't know how multithreading works, but I'm studiing computer engineering (or Computer science) and I know how processor works.

20. PhonicUK

PhonicUK L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It will actually use as many as you have. I'm running on a 3.2GHz quad core and compiling maxes out all 4 cores at 100%, and during the compilers initialization it mentions how many threads it is going to use in parallel.

While I don't get instant builds, it's certainly quick enough that I barely have time to get a drink before its ready to play.