How to take/find textures from a map?

Gravidea

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2017
Okay, so I wanted to make a map that uses textures from another map, but I don't know exactly how it works. The situation is that I wanted to make a map that is much like pkmn_goldenrodcity_b3 with the same textures, but unfortunately I have no way of contacting the map maker so that I can ask for the textures.

What I wanted to know is if there is a way to take textures off of a map and put them into hammer, or if there is a way to find textures from a downloaded map and use them in hammer. The textures are from Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, and I figured this might be easier than taking the textures from the game and turning them into hammer textures myself. Does anyone know how/if this is possible?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
If you have the BSP, you can use GCFScape or VIDE to look inside what's packed in the BSP and take stuff from there.
Beware of all the copyrights.

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
If you have the BSP, you can use GCFScape or VIDE to look inside what's packed in the BSP and take stuff from there.
Beware of all the copyrights.
After finding the textures, where exactly should I put them in order for them to show up when I make a brush?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
In the same path that you found them inside the bsp.
if you found it in the pakfile as materials/pokemon/texture001 then you put it in your tf/custom/pokemontextures/materials/pokemon/texture001 (/custom path is preferable; pokemontextures folder name is arbitrary, have it called what you want)

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
In the same path that you found them inside the bsp.
if you found it in the pakfile as materials/pokemon/texture001 then you put it in your tf/custom/pokemontextures/materials/pokemon/texture001 (/custom path is preferable; pokemontextures folder name is arbitrary, have it called what you want)
upload_2017-5-7_3-23-54.png

This is what happens when I try to find the textures for a brush. So I got the step down where I put the textures in the right folder, now I just need to find out why when I extracted all the textures, they turn into this... Not a single one of them shows up properly it seems.

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
This image shows where I found them... I thought it would be around the same location, but I might have been wrong. Can you tell me by seeing this image where exactly I should put the textures?

Attachments

• Huh.png
    Huh.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 189

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Scratch that! I looked over the steps you gave me once again, and I successfully got the textures to function properly in hammer! Thanks a lot Crowbar, you really do work magic with these kinds of things!