How to take/find textures from a map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Gravidea, May 7, 2017.

1. Gravidea

Gravidea L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so I wanted to make a map that uses textures from another map, but I don't know exactly how it works. The situation is that I wanted to make a map that is much like pkmn_goldenrodcity_b3 with the same textures, but unfortunately I have no way of contacting the map maker so that I can ask for the textures.

What I wanted to know is if there is a way to take textures off of a map and put them into hammer, or if there is a way to find textures from a downloaded map and use them in hammer. The textures are from Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, and I figured this might be easier than taking the textures from the game and turning them into hammer textures myself. Does anyone know how/if this is possible?

2. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    If you have the BSP, you can use GCFScape or VIDE to look inside what's packed in the BSP and take stuff from there.
    Beware of all the copyrights.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    After finding the textures, where exactly should I put them in order for them to show up when I make a brush?

4. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    In the same path that you found them inside the bsp.
    if you found it in the pakfile as materials/pokemon/texture001 then you put it in your tf/custom/pokemontextures/materials/pokemon/texture001 (/custom path is preferable; pokemontextures folder name is arbitrary, have it called what you want)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    upload_2017-5-7_3-23-54.png
    This is what happens when I try to find the textures for a brush. So I got the step down where I put the textures in the right folder, now I just need to find out why when I extracted all the textures, they turn into this... Not a single one of them shows up properly it seems.

6. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    Are you sure you also extracted VTFs, to where they were?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    This image shows where I found them... I thought it would be around the same location, but I might have been wrong. Can you tell me by seeing this image where exactly I should put the textures?

Attached Files:

• Huh.png
      Huh.png
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    Scratch that! I looked over the steps you gave me once again, and I successfully got the textures to function properly in hammer! Thanks a lot Crowbar, you really do work magic with these kinds of things!