How to get back a lost map?

Bunker Junker

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2017
Today Hammer started acting all funny while I was trying to make a map, so I decided to get off and try again later. Once I got back on, the Hammer logo was replaced by some white paper logo, I pressed it and it told me that this shortcut no longer works, and pretty much forced me to delete it. After that I reinstalled hammer and the ABS's resource pack, only to find out all of the saved files of maps I had are gone, any way I can get them back?

I've tried downloading my map and sticking it in the mapsrc file, but it's not a VMF file so it doesn't show up.

Thanks.

Spartykins

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2017
Not quite sure I understand, did you also delete your .vmf files as well when you uninstalled Hammer? Or were these saved somewhere else on your drive?

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
I tried figuring out on how to get the tool running, but I couldn't figure out how to get it running, as it kept failing.

Welp, guess I'm screwed now.

But thanks for trying to help Necro, I appreciate it.

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
Storing your maps on a different folder, in a USB or best Dropbox can help prevent this from happening again. Personaly I use Dropbox since it's free and can be accessed anywhere, anytime. (With an internet connection of course)

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Dropbox also does versioning iirc.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
What I meant is that it doesn't just store the file. It stores all past versions of the file too.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
I tried figuring out on how to get the tool running, but I couldn't figure out how to get it running, as it kept failing.

Welp, guess I'm screwed now.

But thanks for trying to help Necro, I appreciate it.
I'm guessing you don't have Java installed cause that's what it needs.

Bunker Junker

Jul 28, 2017
I'm guessing you don't have Java installed cause that's what it needs.

I had it installed, but it still didn't work, probably downloaded the wrong one in that case.

But I don't wanna have to go through the process of picking the right one, as it was already a headache to find out how to get it working.